1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Despurring my rooster-I DID IT!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by logansmommy7, Jun 12, 2009.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    It was as easy as it looked on You-Tube! And the rooster wasn't bothered in the least. Now-how often do you do this?? Are the spurs actually softer after you do it? This roo is a gentle boy but those spurs were sharp and he has actually lacerated several of the hens, right under their wings on the tops of their backs. ADVICE PLEASE!!!

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I didn't look up the You-Tube video, I just use the bench grinder in the shop. They don't seem real thrilled with the procedure. But hey, it works fine. [​IMG]

3. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I do my dogs nails with my dremel. I'm thinking it would work for roos if you wrapped them in a towel for security.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Congratulations on your success, now please give us the link for this helpful YouTube video. I watched someone de-spur a roo of mine ONCE, she used a cigarette lighter & a pair of pliers. I think I could do the same, but would like to watch another demo first.

Yes, they do grow back, because this same roo needs the treatment once again. More precisely, it's his hens who need for him to be de-spurred.

5. logansmommy7

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEJv4KvIog8t

This
    is exactly how I did it except I had someone else hold him (he is a gentle-sweet roo) and I took the pliers, gently squeezed and turned slightly and off it came. Just like in the video. It is humane and the rooster wasn't bothered in the least. Very minimal bleeding, just a drop or two. I was really scared I would hurt him, but it is just like a fingernail that comes off...totally cool!!

6. logansmommy7

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    Oh-and how often do you have to redo it??

7. logansmommy7

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    I guess it was a good idea...there was minimal blood loss, but I don't think anyone had done that to the old boy before. He looks like he chewed at them a bit this morning...hoping I did the right thing! [​IMG]

8. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    I got the error message: "The URL contained a malformed video ID. "

Grats on your success though.

9. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
  10. logansmommy7

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    Yep-that is it, and it is exactly how ours turned out...very easy and the chicken seemed not to be really affected too much by it..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by