Despurring rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lynyrd, Nov 13, 2012.

1. lynyrd

lynyrd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2012
    malta,illinois
    Is there a certain age / method best for removing spurs from rooster.

2. lynyrd

lynyrd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2012
    malta,illinois
    Or should I leave spurs alone. First time roo owner.

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Unless the spurs are hurting the hens, or a human for that matter then I would just leave them alone. They are part of the birds defence system. If you want to remove them then I prefer to use pliers and twist/pull them off. They come off quite easily with very little blood and whats left of the spur eventually rounds off into a blunt tip.

4. DaphneNL

DaphneNL Chillin' With My Peeps

Interesting topic. One of my roosters has very long and sharp spurs. I don't think they're hurting the hens, so I probably will not remove them, but I'm wondering if it's possible to cut of the sharp point only.

5. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    [​IMG] following .. interesting thread.

I saw one this fall at an orchard who's spurs were so long he walked like those little wind-up toys: lift foot high enough to get left spur over right one - lift right foot high enough to get left spur over right one. If they got much longer, he would be hitting himself in the legs!

6. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I have a short legged Japanese Bantam rooster and his spurs are poling him as he walks about. I tried to cut the ends off with dog nail clippers, but the spurs were so hard that the first cut broke the nail clippers!

I can not bring myself to try the 'twisting them off' method, so I am interested to know what else I can do.

7. DaphneNL

DaphneNL Chillin' With My Peeps

Our horses have spurs too (hidden in the fetlocks). Twisting them of is easy and doesn't hurt them. Is this kind of the same?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by