1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dessert Anyone?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Polish Chickens, May 16, 2009.

1. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    To describe it simply- it is essentially vanilla (or french vanilla) ice cream blended with saffron and rosewater, with some frozen bits of cream broken in pieces and speckled throughout. It's often garnished with (unsalted) pistachios and eaten alone, in a cone, or sandwiched between waffle cookie wafers (see pic).
    I'm not so crazy about the pistachios, personally, and they're certainly optional... it's really the little gems of frozen cream that makes the dessert especially divine.

Here is the best recipe I've found so far:

1 pt heavy (whipping) cream
    2 Tbsp rose water
    Pinch of saffron diluted in 1 Tbsp hot water, cooled
    1 tsp ground cardamom
    1 gallon vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
    1/2 cup halved pistachio nuts

1. Beat cream with mixer until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted. Spread 1/2 in. thick in a flat dish; freeze 2 hours or until hard.
    2. Mix rose water, saffron water and cardamom in a cup; set aside.
    3. Cut frozen cream in small pieces. Place in a bowl. Add ice cream, nuts and rose-water mixture; fold with a large spatula to mix. Return to freezer; freeze at least 2 hours before serving.

2. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    OMG that sounds wonderful!
    And I LOFF pistachios - now I have an excuse to spend on the bag of shelled, unsalted ones from Trader Joe's.
    I can almost taste the little pieces of frozen cream : - 9

This is so out-of-the-ordinary, where is the recipe from?

3. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    The recipe is persian ice cream and I got it off of google

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    This sounds incredible. I love cardamom and I am so happy to have another way to use it!

5. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    YUM! : 9

I made this yesterday - couldn't wait to get to Trader Joe's, so no pistachios and I didn't have cardamom or rosewater so I subbed fresh-grated nutmeg & a splash of a homemade cranberry liqueur from a friend.
    It still came out very nice and those little bits of frozen cream are AWESOME!

Now I'm thinking of doing it with chocolate ice cream and pecans....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by