destroying egg pecker

rich0790

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 8, 2013
I need help! The past few months one or more of my chickens has been pecking open the eggs. I lose on average 1 or 2 eggs a day to whomever the culprit is and when I'm only getting 3 or 4 eggs a day anyway its killing me, I don't have eggs to spare. I started gathering the eggs 2 or 3 times a day to try to get them before the pecking hen does but I am failing miserably! Does anyone have any ideas? I have a bantam cochin that was doing this months she was broody but she hasn't been broody....would it still be her? I thought it might just be the eggs being too thin but I make sure there is always plenty of oystershell in their coop. I let them out to free range almost every day from 2 or 3 until they put themselves to bed too.

I need help! The past few months one or more of my chickens has been pecking open the eggs. I lose on average 1 or 2 eggs a day to whomever the culprit is and when I'm only getting 3 or 4 eggs a day anyway its killing me, I don't have eggs to spare. I started gathering the eggs 2 or 3 times a day to try to get them before the pecking hen does but I am failing miserably! Does anyone have any ideas? I have a bantam cochin that was doing this months she was broody but she hasn't been broody....would it still be her? I thought it might just be the eggs being too thin but I make sure there is always plenty of oystershell in their coop. I let them out to free range almost every day from 2 or 3 until they put themselves to bed too.

Put some golf balls or fake eggs in the nests. They're no fun to peck. make sure the nest area is dark, put up curtains so the hens can't see the eggs. maybe give them a little extra protein too.Good luck!

I am going to get some golf balls this weekend. ..Would giving them the shells a few times a week cause them to peck their eggs? We give them treats a couple times a week of left over veggies and egg shells.

I am going to get some golf balls this weekend. ..Would giving them the shells a few times a week cause them to peck their eggs? We give them treats a couple times a week of left over veggies and egg shells.

You can give them egg shells as long as they're washed, baked and crushed so that they don't resemble an egg in the least.
smile.png

Give them some animal protein...meat scraps, mealworms, cooked and chopped up eggs.

Ditto on the golf balls, or better yet fake eggs, gather eggs as often as possible.

Back
Top Bottom