1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Detachable run for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by traceyleezle, Jan 25, 2010.

1. traceyleezle

traceyleezle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    We have decided to make our chicken coop stationary in front of the garden, but we want to make a detachable run so that we can move it around so the chickens can really dig up our old garden for us. I'm not really sure what the best material would be to make it out of. PVC? Wood? Has anyone had experience with this who can point me in the right direction?

2. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    I have a chain link dog kennel for my detachable coop. We can move it with two people. I'd think PVC would be an even better idea as it would be much lighter in weight. Wood would be heavier and I would think not the best choice if you plan to move it a lot.

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    If you do not have a problem with daytime predators, such as dogs, PVC would probably work well for you. Just be aware that it will eventually degrade and become brittle with age, so you might need to rebuild. A portable dog kennel arrangement would also work well. I would think about making something out of panels that can be moved and reattached together--such as the kennel panels that I often see at feed stores.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Basically you want a day tractor, yes? There are lots of designs for these pen-type tractors (those in mild southern climes often use them year-round), try browsing around here.

Wood is stronger and more durable, pvc is ok in a reasonably predatorproof area and makes a lighter weight tractor. In either case, unless the area is pretty good 'n' predatorproof you may want to consider aprons of woven wire mesh, as wide as possible, that hinge down from the tractor sides after moving, to be weighted or pegged to the ground to deter predators from digging in. It's not AS big a hazard in daytime, but particularly if the chickens will not be in a dogproof yard during this time it can still be worth your while.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

5. traceyleezle

traceyleezle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    Thank you for the great advice. Yes, this would only be needed for this season (we want our chickens to do some excavating where we usually have a garden). Next year we would build a permanent run. So a day tractor it is, most likely built from PVC and hardware cloth with aprons, as suggested. I can get some tent pegs to pin it down for the day.

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Electrical type pvc conduit takes sunlight very well and would last way longer than the white pvc. At the very least you would want some U-bolt type things to hammer in to help anchor it to ground and resist a dog just nosing his way in. As light as it should be, a chicken wire top should do well to deter hawks. But for the sides, I would do 2x4x 6 ft tall welded wire.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by