Detached air cell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cici_p, Apr 4, 2009.

1. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Just put 12 ducky eggs in my bator. [​IMG]
    Now that I am such a candling addict [​IMG] I candled all of them before placing them in to look at the air cells.
    Some of the air cells looked normal. Some seemed a little loosy goosy (not detached, but would stretch a little which ever way I turned the egg); and three were completely detached (A little bubble floated around wherever I turned the egg).
    Question 1: Should I go ahead and incubate the ones with detached air cells? Is there any chance they will develop?
    Question 2: Is it better for these eggs to set them up right instead of laying them down? I currently have them in a carton (in the incubator) just in case.
    Question 3: How can I tell if my yolks are "scrambled". I have several (the ones with the detached cells) that I suspect.
    I searched for "detached air cell" on here, and only found two posts. Weird, because I'm sure this has been discussed before.
    Thank you!

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I've never had an egg hatch that had the little bubbles in it. I have had them hatch with the loose aircells. I think you should set them all to be on the safe side and candle on day 10 (or sooner if you are comfortable with that). That will be the only way to know for sure....
    Good luck [​IMG]

3. judyc

judyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I've never had them hatch before, either.

However, I just bought a dozen Silkie eggs off Ebay. Nine were either loose, or free floating.

I contacted the seller about her packing. She said to incubate without turning for 3-5 days; that sometimes the eggs will "heal."

I'm going to give it a shot....what have I got to lose?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  4. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    Hmmm. Would like to know if this has worked for anybody?
    I currently have the three loose ones sitting up right in a carton, slightly tilted.
    We'll see.
    I suspect at least two of them are scrambled anyway.
    I am short on space in my incubator, so considering throwing them out.

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I have had some luck with the ones with moveble air cells by incubating and hatching them in cartons, alot of them quit though or didnt grow .
    Good luck
    No harm in trying as long as you keep an eye on them to make shure they dont go bad

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  6. judyc

judyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    IT WORKS! I had 9 eggs with floating air cells.

I set them in my Roll-X at 98.6 after 24 hours. I did NOT plug in the turner.

I candled them yesterday. I have ALL KINDS of veins and embryos!

I'm plugging in the turner in the morning. That will be 6 days of no turning.

Only one air cell was a little loose yesterday.

Now I will be getting ready for CHICKS![​IMG]

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I have three that are at 14 days after having detached aircells. Don't know if they'll finish right but we're closer! They were shipped too.

8. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    You guys are a little ahead of me, so let me know if they hatch!
    I decided to leave the eggs in, and sure enough they are veining. [​IMG]
    Now I am wondering about goose eggs? I have always read *not* to prop goose eggs up in cartons, but what if they have a detached cell???????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by