1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Detached Air Cells-Day 8-What now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aggieterpkatie, Jun 30, 2016.

1. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Hi, I just candled my eggs last night and realized they have detached air cells. These are Cochin eggs, shipped to MD from SC. Eleven out of the 12 eggs are fertile and look good except for the air cell is on the sides of the eggs on ALL of the eggs. I let them sit for 8 hours before incubating, but now have read they should sit at least 24 hours. I did not know to candle them before setting them. Yikes!

What should I do now? The eggs are split into 2 incubators- 7 are in a Brinsea Mini Advanced, and 5 are in a Brinsea Mini Eco. The ones in the Advanced have been on auto-turn, and I've been hand turning the ones in the Eco. They are on their sides now, but I've read they should be upright.

What do I do now? I was thinking of putting them in egg carton cups and letting them sit large end up from now through hatching. Is there any chance the air cell will move back to the proper position?

If that's not the right thing to do, what do I do now? Any help would be much appreciated. I was really hoping to get some chicks out of these eggs!

2. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Any thoughts? I put half of the eggs in egg cups (cut out the individual cups from cartons) so they're vertical, and the other half is still horizontal. I'm just not sure if I should put all of them vertical or if it may do more harm than good at this point.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    That's what I'd do. For shipped eggs, I put them in egg cartons from day 1-hatch. I usually don't turn mine the first 3 or 4 days, then I gently tilt them one way or the other until day 18.

Good luck! 11/12 is good development for shipped eggs!

4. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Just wanted to update this thread. All of the 12 eggs I set were fertile, but one quit after about 5 days. I had them split into 2 incubators...one with 4 eggs and one with 7. The 4 eggs I set in egg cups from day 8 to day 16 or so. Then I put them back on their sides and continued to turn them. The other 7 eggs were always on their sides and getting turned like normal.

ALL of the eggs hatched! Woo hoo!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats on the hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by