Detached air sac?

Inharmony

Songster
11 Years
Jul 14, 2011
I have one egg out of my 52 incubating atm which seems to have developed a detached air sac. I had marked an air sac when candling earlier but it seems it shifted to the side. I've put them in lockdown and tomorrow is hatch day. I thought I had read to put the air pocket side up so I did. It is the only one I have of this breed so I really hope to save it. Any advice on when to intervene if needed? Is there much chance it will internally pip in the side where the sac is? Forgot to take a picture but I traced the sac. I can take a picture of it through the incubator tonight.

Attachments

• 20230506_105808.jpg
    20230506_105808.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 13
I see what you mean that air cell is pretty small for lockdown. I would monitor the egg for now to see where it pips.

I think there is a section in this article that should be helpful ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...hatching-chicken-eggs-aka-hatching-101.64195/
So it's been 24 hrs + since the first one piped there is no sign of external pip on this one. I also have a few others with no external pip. I have read about safety holes but didn't do any. I'm wondering if I should bring the incubator into a steamy bathroom with high humidity and make safety holes?

Seeing as it was 48hr+ I decided to slowly open it. Unfortunately the chick had drown, not really much of an air pocket in there 😞 Another had gotten stuck because it was piped at wrong end. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom