Detached air sac? :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crayonsmom, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Poop. I can't believe I didn't notice before. One my 3 poor little eggs in the bator (been in for 10 days) has the air sac in the middle ofthe egg istead of at the blunt end. I knew something didn't look right, but for some reason It didn't click in my brain until now. So, do I take the egg out? Is it basically a gonner? I'm pretty sure it's been developing with the air sac like that, but of course that doens't mean it will hatch. I sure hope the other two pull through.

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I had a shipped egg that had the air sac on the side and the chickie hatched out fine. If its not stinky, leave it in.

3. Crayonsmom

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Thanks for the reply! [​IMG] I candled tonight and the embryo looks like it's moving, so I'll just hope for the best! Would it be a bad idea to try setting the egg with the blunt end up for a bit or do you think that could cause more problems? I'm a incubation newbie, so I don't know if that would change the position of the air sac or not.

4. faykokoWV

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I left mine on its side at the time, I don't think it would hurt to put it pointy end down and blunt end up though. That way as it gets bigger, hopefully it gets bigger towards the correct position.

What turning method are you using?

5. Crayonsmom

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Ok, I'll do that then. I'll probably just leave the other eggs on their sides though.

I've been turning by hand, morning, 2pm, and night. I drew arrows on the eggs too becuase somebody said they shouldn't be turned a full 360 which I didn't know until recently, but so far they look fine to me. [​IMG]

6. faykokoWV

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    The reason I asked about the turning method is you will have to come up with some way to continue changing the angle of the egg you have standing upright. you need something that will prop it up vertically, but that will allow you to change the angle of it. Or you could keep rotating it from verticle to its side and back for the turning.

7. Crayonsmom

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Ah, that makes sense. I left it on it's side today but will try to prop it up again tonight. Last night I proped it upagainst another egg and used a few pencils on the bator "floor" so they wouldn't slide, but that idea wasn't workign this morning. [​IMG]

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Goodluck with the eggie [​IMG]

I've had a few of these from shipped eggs chicken and quail and none ever even started developing for me [​IMG]

AC

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    You could stick it fat end up in an egg carton and rest the carton at an angle on something like a block of wood. Then just 'turn' it by changing which end of the carton is resting up on the wood. That's how a lot of people do it...

10. Crayonsmom

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Thanks guys! [​IMG] I'll try the egg carton idea tonight and see what happens. I'm hoping to have at least 2 out of the 3 eggs hatch so they can have buddies, but if all three hatch that would be pretty cool. Our silly ducks either stopped laying for now or started eating their eggs. I just hope eggs start showing up again when we put them back outside. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by