Determine Hen and me too

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tiger 123, Jan 25, 2017.

1. tiger 123

tiger 123 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Hi out there. We have a lovely broody hen that just will not give up. We placed three fertised eggs under her: two she destroyed and we had one lovely chick. We were away and the house sitter do not think to put a stone in the water dish and we lost it. So while away she had our friends put another egg under her. She has been sitting now for not only the first (21 days) but it has been 22 days and so far nothing. As she is so determine we are wondering if nothing comes of this egg should we even consider placing more eggs under her? It would mean another three weeks and I have never had this situation before. I feel she (and us) would love to have some chicks but is it good for her to sit this long?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    When a hen goes broody, she eats and drinks considerably less than normal. To give her more eggs would be far from ideal, as she will continue to lose condition and be more susceptible to illness (as her immune system will not be on top form).

Under no circumstances would I put any of my girls through such an extended period of broodiness. I'm not suggesting its the "crime of the century " - just not something i would do.

3. tiger 123

tiger 123 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Thank you as this is something VERY NEW and STRANGE to us I felt I needed to ask. I have not been able to find any information generally and then thought why not try this. We will not put any more eggs under her. What happens then? We get her back to laying and will she suddenly get broody again? We have three other hens but they are a different breed. We have had hens for over five years and never had to cope with a broody hen. We do not have a rooster. Our friends do. Thank you for your input.

4. tiger 123

tiger 123 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Would she take to new chicks?

5. tiger 123

tiger 123 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Also when do we take her off the egg?

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    She could well accept some day old chicks (less than week olds, at least), but she may also reject them. If you can get some chicks relatively cheaply and quickly, then its worth a try IMO. If you do go that route, then remove the eggs and replace with the chicks on an evening time (but watch her like a hawk, and have a brooder set up and ready to go, in case she rejects them).

If chicks are not available, then type "broody buster" in the search box for ideas of how to go about breaking her broodiness.

7. tiger 123

tiger 123 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Thank you so much. All the best with your girls.

8. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    you are most welcome and thank you

9. rustymurphy

rustymurphy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2016
    Fairchild Wis
    I also think that your hen night except chicks very young put them under her well after dark don't use a flashlight if you can help it if she is sleeping she just might think she hatched them out and except them just watch her closely

10. tiger 123

tiger 123 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Thank you I have been reading and it says that her hormones are strong and that maybe we should try again with more eggs. The issue was we only put one under her the second time. What I am hoping is if she has chicks that will give us the right time to stop the broodiness and physically give her hormones a change to settle down. She is eating really well .. I am amazed at how much food she eats. We have her food and water a long ways from the nest. She is separated from the other three girls but they can see her through the wire. If this does not take then I will definitely try to stop her broodiness. She is a two year old hen and lovely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by