Determined broody hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenHouse, May 26, 2008.

1. ChickenHouse

ChickenHouse New Egg

May 26, 2008
    We have 2 very broody Light Brahma bantams. They are sitting on empty nests and have been broody for almost a month.

I have read several posts about broody hens, but I haven't read anything about what to do with hens that are very stubborn about their broodiness and aren't sitting on eggs. At first we tried kicking them out of the nest, and then we tried waiting it out, but it has been a while and they are starting to look a little pale. We are worried that they aren't getting enough nutrition and exercise.

Should I be kicking them out of the nest? I would really appreciate your advice! Thanks!

Sara

2. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    [​IMG]

You can repeatedly kick them off the nest, but that may not be good enough. I had to take a broody and put her in a seperate cage, without a nest box, for about a week, before she stopped being broody.

Some people have gone out and purchased day old chicks and snuck them under the broody at night.

I have heard that some hens will stay on the nest until they starve to death. I would be concerned.

Hope this helps.

Dorothy

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We set up a "chicken jail" for our insistent Silky girls who would stay broody, if we let them.

It's just a plastic coated, wire bottomed cage, raised up off the ground. We don't put any nesting material (hay or pine shavings) so there's nothing for them to nest in. They are provided with fresh water and food (hence the Jail part) daily and protected from the sun and rain by a tarp. After about a week, we return them to the Silky coop. If they still show signs of be broody, we put them right back in jail. The air hitting their bums is supposed to help them get over their broodiness.

Click on the link for a pic of our "jail"...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/TnWren/PA244363.jpg?t=1194564762

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I'd try destroying the nest. Some hens give up after the nest has been strewn out across the house or yard. you could also just order some fertile eggs off ebay and split 6 for one hen and 6 for the other.[​IMG]

5. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I never try to stop a broody, I let them do what instinct tells them too.
    Grafting worked great for my Blue Cochins. They had bad eggs they were setting, so I grafted the day olds and it worked like a charm. Since then they have moved on to hatch #2 which is going on as I type. They raised the first ones and wanted more I guess. This time I haven't had to graft any, they hatched their own eggs.
    I never understand why no one wants broodies to continue, unless it's because of lack of space for a bigger flock. I love it when they do their thing. Bring on the babies!!!

6. ChickenHouse

ChickenHouse New Egg

May 26, 2008
    Okay, I took all the hay out of their nesting boxes and kicked them out of the coop so they are hanging out in the run area. We'll see how it goes. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by