Determining cause of illness in chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknjane, Aug 5, 2010.

1. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    I have a 10 week old bantam frizzle cochen pullet who yesterday was fine as can be. I held her and petted her the way she liked. This morning I found her in a little dirt nest. Her eyes were closed and she was very still. She was laying in her own feces (which looked normal) One leg was pulled up in front of her the other leg was stretched out behind her, both are stiff and immobile. I thought she was dead until one of the other juveniles stepped on her to get to me. They she openned her eyes and picked up her head. I immediately separated her and got her to drink some water.

Unfortunately, I am flying blind here as my copy of the Chicken Health Handbook is MIA and I know absolutely nothing beyond what I learn from books and this forum.

I'm concerned that this might be Marek's but there is no indication other than the legs that it could be mareks.

Her crop is empty. Her pelvic feels boney. Legs stiff and pointed in opposite directions. She is still as can be, but will open her eyes and peep at me a little.

1. Any thoughts on it being Mareks?
    2. Any other suggested possible diagnosis? ( I know its hard to do, I'm just looking for other potential things to research)
    3. Other than isolate and provide electrolytes, any suggestions as to how I could treat her.
    3. Is there anything I can do to protect the rest of the birds whe was housed with.
    4. Are Frizzle Cochin's more susceptible to any diseases that others may not be? She was housed with a 10 week old bantam japanese buff black tail (roo), (4) 8 week old buff minorca and (2) 8 week old wyandottes.

I have a place that does the autopsy free for backyard flock owners. I'm just hoping it doesn't come to that.

Here is a picture of her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    You think it may be the heat? I dont know where your at but here, it get 100 F in the daytime almost EVERYDAY.
    Is she panting or anything?

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    She seems like she might have had a stroke. Will she eat or drink? If so, you can just keep her safe and comfortable, and give her some vitamins/electrolites in her water, and there's a chance she will grow stronger.

4. chicknjane

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    Hi BeccaBOO,

Its only 92 degrees today here in SE PA an they have plenty of shade. Its been hotter and today's pretty mild. Also she's the only one sick like this. I have a total of 36 chickens outside with another 15 in the brooder.

Hi Chicmom,

I didn't realize chickens could have strokes. I'd rather have that occur than mareks or something else that would wipeout the whole flock. I guess only time will tell.

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Marcy

5. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    well hows she doin'? [​IMG]

6. chicknjane

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    Hi Becca

She passed away while we were eating dinner. I was actually beginning to think that she would pull through. I was able to get her to drink the electrolytes and she seemed to liven up a little. We left her alone to have dinner and when we came back to check on her she was dead. My daughter is heartbroken. I'm taking her to the Poultry Lab in New Bolton for an autopsy. Hopefully they'll be able to tell me a cause of death. I just hope its nothing that can harm the rest of my flock.

Thanks for your help,

Marcy

7. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Oh gosh I'm so sorry [​IMG]
    you did all you could to help her. [​IMG]
    theres not that much you can do when you don't know whats wrong! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by