1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Determining egg infertility

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken coop scoop, Mar 18, 2013.

1. chicken coop scoop

chicken coop scoop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Pikeville
    I recently ordered 48 eggs on eBay and I had a terrible hatch rate of about 25%. So I opened the eggs that didn't hatch on day 24 to see what went wrong and 27 off the 48 total had just yoke inside. Does this mean they are infertile and that I was sent bad eggs?

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    If no development at all they probably weren't fertile OR they were tossed around too much in shipment. If the white spot on the yolk looks like a bulls eye or a doughnut then it was fertile. If it's just a misshapen white spot then it wasn't fertile.

3. chicken coop scoop

Aug 5, 2009
    Pikeville
    So should I ask for a refund on the "infertile" eggs or is there a good possibility that they were undeveloped due to shipping. I don't want to ask for a refund on the undeveloped eggs if it wasn't his fault. I opened them about a week ago and didn't check for a bullseye or doughnut in the yolk. I just assumed they were infertile since they were completely undeveloped.

4. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    You could contact the seller and see what they say. Just don't be surprised if they say too bad.

5. chicken coop scoop

Aug 5, 2009
    Pikeville
    Okay, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by