deterring hawks and eagles

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MyPetNugget, Nov 11, 2013.

1. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

I have tried to let the chickens free range but every time I do, a hawk starts to hover above them. Once the hawks migrate (or do they?) we have a couple of golden eagles that come in the winter and are ALWAYS down low. Does anybody have any solutions for this? Because they love to free range more than anything else. We do have a run.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. MyPetNugget

Oh yes and they are red tailed hawks.

3. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

This is a ouch, cause eagles and hawks are scare wild birds, usually I tried to stay outside until the enemy is gone, cause top cover is very expensive

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Free ranging usually equals livestock loss, it's the unromantic truth.
    It's your choice as chicken keeper to keep them confined and safe in a wire covered run or out free and in danger.

5. MyPetNugget

Well my Papa was thinking about making a chicken tractor in the spring, but I love to let Nugget (my favorite) outside. Whenever I open the door to let them in the run, she jumps right out of the coop and stands by my feet.[​IMG] But I don't want to loose her.....

6. WallabyOfChaos

WallabyOfChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Texas Panhandle
    My Coop
    I suppose you could always try a few scarecrows. I would dress them loosely so their clothing flutters in the breeze, and hang something shiny from the arms to blow around and reflect light - like foil pie plates or maybe some CDs that are too scratched to play. In theory the irregular light reflections and the movement of the clothing should make a hawk think twice about swooping down at something near the scarecrows.

7. MyPetNugget

Thanks I may try that.

8. lilchickenz

lilchickenz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    My chickens were attacked by a hawk last week. I happened to be looking out the window at the time and saw it happen. This hawk swooped into a tight spot, I was surprised it did it. Thankfully the chickens got away under a bush and the worst that happened was one of them had some crumpled feathers. I'm not taking anymore chances with it, though, so I keep them in their coop now unless I'm out there with them.

9. MyPetNugget

Wow that must have been close. Glad they got away.[​IMG]

10. lilchickenz

lilchickenz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Instead of eating my chooks I wish it would eat the squirrels! They go into the coop and harass the chickens and eat their food. Grrrrrr

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by