Detouring (sp?) coyotes.

Jferlisi

i dont eat chicken!!!!
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Menifee CA
So we just moved to arizona from southern cali a few months ago. Where i used to live we had coyotes but never had a problem with them getting any of the chickens. The house we moved into backs up to a wash and thats were the coyotes pass thru morning and at night. We haven't had a problem with them so far until last sunday were they hopped our block wall and took my bantam sussex, audrey hepburn,
hit.gif
and plucked one of my light brahma, mother teresa, really bad. They did this about 3:00 - 4:00
rant.gif
. We didn't have a insadent on monday but on tuesday about the same time one jumped the wall again but i was home and saw him do it so i was able to chase him off before he could get anyone
clap.gif
. I haven't seen one in two days now. We used to have a tarp on the front of the coop which was open to the elements since the rain was coming in from the front, but we took it down on saturday and put up drop down shutters. So here is the question parts,
big_smile.png
do you think the tarp was creating noise by blowing in the wind a little and they didn't like it? Is there another way to keep them out? Is noise the best way for example put something like wind chimes at the corners of the property to make noise? Also i will state this now, i am not opposed to killing them but if i cant find away to keep them away it will help since its not just one coyote. Also i understand that killing them to some people is cruel and all so please i would like to ask you, if you dont agree with it just leave feedback on ways to help detour them instead of causing a problem. Thank you very much, John.

Shooting and killing one member of the family generally educates the rest in a big hurry. They are intelligent and once habituated to human activity they can become very brazen until re educated. Good luck. They can wipe out an entire flock in a big hurry.

You only have two options. Either build an enclosure strong enough to keep coyotes out, or do that really un-politicaly correct thing I'm not suppose to mention.
lol.png

And no windchimes wont work, the tarp might have scared them for a time, but they aren't stupid and will attack when hungry enough.

Last edited:
Quote:
I dont know about out west but here in ky, I killed a yote in sept. and the 3 that i called in with her was seen 2 days later eating her carcuss, They are hard to hunt, And i agree there very smart, but if you kill 1 there still there,

Back
Top Bottom