DETRITUS a $50 word

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by joebryant, Jun 30, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Detritus, a new word that I just learned this week, should be the title of this forum, not Everything Else BST. Look it up.

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* How about "flotsom and jetsom"?? [​IMG]

3. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Wikipedia says, "In biology, detritus is non-living particulate organic material (as opposed to dissolved organic material). It typically includes the bodies of dead organisms or fragments of organisms or fecal material. Detritus is normally colonized by communities of microorganisms which act to decompose (or remineralize) the material."
    ???

4. joebryant

d.k :

* How about "flotsom and jetsom"?? [​IMG]

Flotsam would be good. I really like that!
    Jetsam's sort of limited.​

5. joebryant

Quote:Ain't talkin' biology...

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:
    detritus

Main Entry:
    de·tri·tus Listen to the pronunciation of detritus
    Pronunciation:
    \\di-ˈtrī-təs\\
    Function:
    noun
    Inflected Form(s):
    plural de·tri·tus Listen to the pronunciation of detritus \\-ˈtrī-təs, -ˈtrī-ˌtüs\\
    Etymology:
    French détritus, from Latin detritus, past participle of deterere
    Date:

1: loose material (as rock fragments or organic particles) that results directly from disintegration2 a: a product of disintegration, destruction, or wearing away : debris b: miscellaneous remnants : odds and ends <sifting through the detritus of his childhood — Michael Tomasky>
    — de·tri·tal Listen to the pronunciation of detrital \\-ˈtrī-təl\\ adjective

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Flotsam would be good. I really like that!
    Jetsam's sort of limited.

I dunno -- stuff that the mods move to this category could be considered jetsam, maybe [​IMG]

Detritus can be used in a general sense, as a figure of speech, but its main meaning remains the biological one of 'chunks o' dead organic matter". I am doubting that too many people want to buy, sell or trade THAT [​IMG]

Pat

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Compost! [​IMG]

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    JoeBryant, stop clicking on the BST thread! Perhaps you could click on the Valium thread instead.

9. joebryant

Quote:Flotsam would be good. I really like that!
    Jetsam's sort of limited.

I dunno -- stuff that the mods move to this category could be considered jetsam, maybe [​IMG]

Detritus can be used in a general sense, as a figure of speech, but its main meaning remains the biological one of 'chunks o' dead organic matter". I am doubting that too many people want to buy, sell or trade THAT [​IMG] Pat

'tain't not!
    I think that it's a neat word. I'd never heard it before this weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by