Detroit version of Wichita Cabin Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HenriettaPlume, Jan 12, 2014.

1. HenriettaPlume

HenriettaPlume Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
    [​IMG]

We are almost done with our version of the Wichita Cabin Coop. We will be installing the hen house door tomorrow. After that some minor stuff is left, like installing the ramp, building the windows, adding some trim and getting a bunch of sand for the run.

We started working on this in mid-October, and are super excited to be so close to finished. Starting coop construction in the fall, and continuing into winter, was a challenge. We were lucky enough to to have some good weather days, and the option to work in our basement when necessary.

My boyfriend and I had ZERO construction experience, so this was quite a challenge. But in the end, we came out of it with mad skills and a killer coop.

Chicks arrive in late-February. Peep-peep!

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    wow, just wow! Simply stunning. Real nice logical design.
    Congrats!
    Karen in western PA, USA

3. HenriettaPlume

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
    Thanks so much. It's truly a labor of love. I can't wait to get my chicks! :)

4. HenriettaPlume

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice job! Kudos for climbing the learning curve!

Those critter tracks on your blog? (nice blog btw)...those look like raccoon or possum, probably lots of them in your neck of the burbs. I strongly suggest you change out your latches to double action latches, something with a hole that a carabineer will fit thru, 2 on the door(1 high and 1 low) and 2 on the nest lid....raccoons are mad talented at getting latches open. .....and you really don't want to count on a string to save you from the existing run door latch...been there done that, lol.

1 person likes this.
  6. HenriettaPlume

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
    Totally think you are right about the possible raccoon/possum tracks. The coop was wide open because the henhouse door wasn't on yet. I will certainly consider changing out the latches, too. Thanks!!

7. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    You guys did an amazing job - this is just lovely!! Can't wait for you to get your chickens!!

1 person likes this.
  8. HenriettaPlume

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
    [​IMG]

Yesterday we finally installed the hen house door. It's getting very close to finished. Still need to add the chicken ramp (it's already built), the windows, tin roof on the lid of the nesting box, some sand in the run and some trim. Chicks arrive in March!

1 person likes this.
  9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Awesome job! no building experience? really, that doesn't look it in the least. Welcome to chicken keeping!

10. HenriettaPlume

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
    Thanks so much. We had a materials list, a bunch of photos and a ton of inspiration. We learned so much along the way, and are excited to continue the journey!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by