Devastated and need advice

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Rfoser, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Rfoser

Rfoser New Egg

Dec 12, 2016
    I have had my hens for two years. I raised them from chicks and I live in the city so I only have four. I woke up yesterday morning to find one chicken dead and two missing. The dead one had obviously been killed by a predator. This morning I awoke to hear my remaining hen screaming. When I ran outside there was a huge raccoon attacking her. I tried to beat it off with a broom, but it came at me and I had to retreat.

I really want to get new chicks this spring, but now I am worried. I have a small coop with a chicken wire enclosed run. It is covered on top. No obvious holes, but there are a few small gaps I guess. Any ideas on what yo do to keep any new chickens safe? Do I need a gum to keep critters away? I am so upset that I couldn't even protect my last bird :(

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    First off, [​IMG], and I am so sorry for your loss. No, you don't need a gun to get rid of predators, especially if you live in the city, but it would be good to have a BB gun for future offense in a matter such as you had. Try purchasing a trap, because raccoons are relentless once they have a bead on your birds; Once you have captured the thing, relocate it outside a 10 mile radius of your house, raccoons can sniff their way back at a certain distance. For protection, it would help to see some pics of your coop to determine what is needed.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Sorry for your loss.

Show us pictures of that coop. I bet it can be hardened easily.

Additinally, look as using a small fencer, to charge hotwire directly attached to coop or in immediate vicinity. You might even be able to power a length of electrified poultry netting.

4. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Did you make your profile pic an angry raccoon for this reason?

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Traps are good but there may be a legal issues associated with relocating.

1 person likes this.
  6. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    You can turn them in to animal control.

7. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Or, if there are that many rules, then hire a pest control agency.

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I do not know pest control cost. How would that compare to upgrades when pest control will be a chronic issues not limited to that one raccoon?

9. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    What I meant is that you have them set a trap if it is illegal to do so yourself

10. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    I am not sure how much shock wire is either, but I'm guessing its pretty pricey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by