Devastated!!!!! Hawk attack!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickensioux, Dec 23, 2010.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My initial thought was, when I saw the hawk sitting on one of my ducks, was that it had Microduck. I thank God it wasn't. But it did have one of my brand new Ringed teal, Nina. When I ran after it to scare it off, it took Nina with it. Poor little Mauricio lost his mate. Poor babies hadn't been out to freerange in sooo long due to the ice and snow. I finally had a chance to let them play. Turn your back for 2 minutes and those birds pick that second to strike....... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh, sorry to hear that! I hate when they take off with the bird you are hoping is still alive and can be saved. Did you see where it went?

3. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Our property backs up to woods and it flew into there. It was back again today. My small ducks live in a covered pen but I do let them out to freerange at time when I am home to watch. But my chickens are out all the time, their area is too large to cover. I have CDS hanging, etc. But the booger keeps trying.

4. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Were your ringed teal pinioned?

5. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

if i was u i would of shot that thing withj my gun or bb gun before i ran and got it to fly away!! but i feel so bad foorrrr uuu that happened to me a week ago [​IMG]

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Oh, I'm so sorry. [​IMG]
    I lost a little bantam hen to one of those (insert every curseword known to mankind here) hawks about 3 weeks ago-they are so fast there's just no time.
    We do what we can to protect them while still trying to give them a bit of freedom.

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    As soon as I saw your name against the tittle of the post I feared for little Micro...So good to read he is safe- but so soory to hear of your loss of Nina.

[​IMG] To you and Mauricio. She will be greatly missed Im sure.

8. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Lost my am widgeon drake yesterday [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  9. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:No, not pinioned but they are clipped. They have so many places to run and hide tho'. They don't have to go far (10-20 feet) in any direction to get under something. It must have landed right on her.
    From now on, no matter how much I feel sorry for them, I guess they won't get out unless I am out there to stay with them. During the summer, that's what we do, we watch. Since it's 30 degrees, I came in the house for a few minutes. Now I'm sick.
    They have a pond and plenty of space in their enclosure but I like for them to freerange when they can. Dang it!

10. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure i read somewhere in the on the u.s. fish and wildlife page that you can shoot hawks if there killing pets/livestock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by