Devastated!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NewToFarming, Jul 20, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I lost 4 baby silkies overnight. [​IMG] I have no idea what it was either. These chicks were kept on our enclosed front porch. I raised all of my other ones out there without a problems so I assumed everything was safe for them.
    Whatever it was, it left no real trace of anything. The brooder box was very much the way I had left it and the only indication was only a tiny amount of blood on the side. It was really like they just disappeared!
    I had to come in to work but my hubby was looking around and found a hole under the front door and if the screen door isn't closed, he said it is big enough for something to get in there. We recently moved in here so we have no idea if it always has been there or if this is new.
    Any ideas as to what might have gotten to these poor babies? I am just totally devastated and these chicks were such sweeties. [​IMG] I feel horrible that I didn't protect them enough but I thought being in the house and nothing happening to the others before them that we were ok.
    I just find it strange that the lids on top were barely moved and no feathers or anything left behind.
    I will have to check out the entire front porch when I get home. I know if I see whatever got them, they won't be around long either!!! [​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Oh, I'm so sorry!!! [​IMG] Set a trap with some store bought chicken in it (since that's what the predator is after - and it WILL be back for seconds) and see what you get. If the hole is small, I'd guess a rat or a weasel... [​IMG]

3. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Songster

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I am sorry you lost the silkies, predators are after everything. Hope you catch the devil. It is so sad to lose our feathered friends.

4. oliviad51

oliviad51 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    so sorry about your losses..I would set a trap with peanut butter bread and mini marshmallows..I've caught a lot with that. You also may want to get a fake owl to hand up near your chicks..I've heard it works with some people and with others it doesn't. We have one hanging on the outside of the guinea coop, and nothing has gotten in there in a while. The last thing I know to do is put a radio on your porch with a talk show on. The predator will hear it and think its a person outside. Good Luck and keep us updated on what happens!

5. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks everyone!

I just feel just terrible about the whole thing. I have been thinking about it all day and the more I think about it, the more I am thinking a snake might have come in???? The area under the door would definitely allow room for a snake. Also, how nothing was disturbed inside the brooder. I just think if it was a rat or weasel there would have been more things to show it?? I don't know, but I feel so badly that it happened to the poor little things. My heart dropped when I went out this morning, lifted the lid and no little chicks inside.
    Now, I am a nervous wreck about my older ones in the barn. I am thinking whatever found the chicks, will find their way to them.
    I will have to try and find an owl to put at the barn when the older girls are at.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    I have seen at the feed store big strips of glue traps.I would secure one by the hole,and see what comes in.Sorry for your loss!

7. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks, I will have to look for those. I have a tractor supply near me and if they don't have it, I will check our feed store. They are on the smaller side so I doubt they have it.
    I put out rat poison just in case and nothing touched it last night.

8. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I'm so very sorry.

I've heard many stories about predators getting to birds on screened porches. So many things can simply rip through the screen if they're motivated by the prospect of an easy meal. It's the same thing for people who leave screened windows in their coops open.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:
    I had to come in to work but my hubby was looking around and found a hole under the front door and if the screen door isn't closed, he said it is big enough for something to get in there.​

10. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Perhaps a Large snake? they wouldn't leave much of a trace of anything I would Put tons of glue boards dow over the holes. Go to a local Co Op and Buy the heavy duty traps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by