Developing new colors?

Harvest Mint

Songster
6 Years
Nov 16, 2016
Kingston, Tennessee
I have seen people saying they are developing new colors in a certain breed on chicken and I was wondering exactly how they do that. It would be super cool to have more colored lacing on Wyandottes. I seen a chocolate laced Orpington I think it was. But the lacing looked just like a Wyandotte.

There are a few ways that people do that. Sometimes they cross their chosen breed with another breed that has that color pattern. Other times they start with the correct breed and cross colors/patterns to bring in the genes that they need. Either way, it is quite a lot of work both in planning and execution. I am starting a line of blue laced bantam Cochins this year. Playing around with the chicken color genetics calculator can help, as can reading through other threads. Many times there are others already working on your chosen project. How much do you know about genetics in general? That is a good start.

I used to play horse games that involved genetics to get certain traits on the horses when I was younger. I know most genes are either dominant or recessive but some are co-dominant. Like in people there is not a gene that for being a red head like there is for blonde or brown but rather a gene that changes how the color is presented that makes someone redheaded.

Back
Top Bottom