Devil Chicken (Guess the breed)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Puresilk, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Puresilk

Puresilk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    What would you guys call this pullet as far as breeding? It has 5 toes, feathered feet and black skin. It has the two feathers growing very distinctly from its crest that give the appearance of horns, lol....the color on its back has just started coming in, I am hoping it feathers in like that all over.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I don't Know, But it is a great looking bird!

3. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    It looks like the crest feathers are developing like a male, and you definitely have saddle feathers coming in. So your bird is probably a cockerel.

As for breed - some type of showgirl cross? A very unique looking fellow!

4. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Looks like a turken x silkie

did you get her from a showgirl breeder?

5. Puresilk

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    No, I got her from a guy in missouri who I have found out is less than honest, lol...I honestly dont see it being a cockerel, we have grown hens with saddle feathers like this one, so I dont see that making it a roo....maybe it is I dont know...

6. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
  7. Puresilk

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    The guy sold it to my wife as a smooth feathered showgirl. I guess thats just the first generation? We have a pair of partridge showgirls...so Silkie x Turken?

8. Puresilk

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    I didnt think there was such a thing as a smooth feathered showgirl...

9. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Quote:From what I understand the gene for silky feathering is recessive. So , any first generation cross of a silky feathered bird to a non silky feathered bird will result in a non silky feathered bird UNLESS the non silky feathered parent carries the recessive gene for silky feathering. Oh, I just made it sound way more confusing then what it is. Anyhow, it makes sense that the first generation cross would look like the chick in question. She may produce some nice little showgirls if bred to a male silky!!!!

10. Puresilk

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    Not sure what I am gonna do with her, I am not big into the naked necks, we have a few silkie roos and I also have a real nice small black OEGB rooster I may put her with, to get some cool colored chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by