1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

devistated: my mallard is gone :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mickeymousears, Aug 7, 2011.

1. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Just before sundown Thursday there was a ruckus -chickens screaming ducks hiding- and then my very sweet precious mallard was gone (sob). My husband thinks he heard her fly over the fence-weve scoured the neighborhood hung lost posters and even went to the local lake with no luck! I'm still hoping shell reappear in the backyard but 3 days later my hope is waning. I understand that there was always a possibility she would fly away but we've had her and the other 2 ducks since they were a week old and she seemed happy AND this past week I noticed her and the Rouen enticing the male peking to do the nasty so I thought for sure she would stick around since she found a mate. All that aside the highest I had ever seen her fly was maybe 6 feet high and a few feet across the yard and NEVER over the fence. So I'm most worried that A she has no clue where she is and B she hasn't built up the strength to fly any significant distance. If she has found a new home that's fine- I just would like to know she is safe.
    I'm also worried she flew into someones garage and they didn't realize so now she's stuck. I just can't shake the feeling that she didn't mean to fly away and is lost or hurt but idk what else I can do.
    Any thoughts??

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] i hope she makes her way back home, I have one duck and I worry he will fly away too [​IMG]

3. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    [​IMG]

Little mallard we miss you!!

[​IMG]
    My sweet quackers!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  4. kkattt

kkattt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG] sorry to hear that. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Hopefully she'll come back. I worry about that too with mine. She knows where home is so she may come back.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Sorry to hear about your mallard. I hope she comes back home.

7. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    A technique that I have used to draw in wayward ducks is to put one in a cat carrier...preferably your loudest one....and put him or her in the yard. The missing one, if she is in earshot, will use the call as a beacon and follow the sound home. Best of luck!

8. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Where are you located?? We had a small female mallard show up in our flock today. She's got a small piece missing out of her bill.

[​IMG]

9. mystkblu

mystkblu Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    SW Colorado
    I do hope she returns - that is a horrible feeling when one is missing. [​IMG] I hesitate to say it but it sounds like you had a predator visit your flock. Don't give up hope that she might come home, but you might want to take a look at your enclosure security just in case a raccoon, bobcat, fox or dog hasn't mistaken your flock for the local fast food joint. I really hope she turns up soon.

10. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Ok I'm new to ducks and mine can't fly so don't think I'm cruel... but why didn't you clip her wings?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by