Dewlap African- gender help?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by zooweemama, Aug 16, 2013.

1. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 Africans (not the "supers") from Metzers. We bought a pair over a year ago. Male and female. I became very familiar with their differences. My male has an extra long neck and his honk is a looooong shriek and very high pitched. Their lone hatchling from this year sound just like his daddy and looks just like him too (long neck, high pitched shrieking honk). We managed to pick up a Holderreads Buff African this Summer. "She" is stunning. BUT I only have the 1 and she is gigantic and her honk is WAY different from my other Africans. It's very low. No high pitch sounds at all. She is about 5 months old now and she is much much larger than my 18 mo male Metzers fella.

Anyone familiar with this breed's sounds? Since I have no other goose like her to compare her too- sexing is tricky for me. I know I could feather sex but I really can't afford that right now.

[​IMG]
    This is Waffles. This image is at tops 2 weeks old. I don't expect the image to help sex her- but I couldn't not share my pretty goose (or gander). Thank you for any feedback you can offer. I could even record a small video of 'her' honking too if that would help. It's SO deep. I didn't know geese could honk so low. Another thing I notice my other males do- when danger or threat is near they crane their necks ALL the way up to the sky and and shriek. Waffles does not do this, she still keeps her head low and honks that deep honk. I am totally unfamiliar with this type of African stock. She is really just so different from the other hatchery stock.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Gorgeous zooweemama

3. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Wow! Very nice. Really makes me regret not getting dewlap Africans.

4. zooweemama

Waffles in July:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waffles in June:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Can you tell I love Waffles? haha!

5. zooweemama

They are so different than my hatchery stock. Much much larger. Of course the dewlap. They sound way different too. She still forages as much as the other geese- not one to be left behind. We have a Canada goose in the bunch and she loves to forage and she has really upped the foraging from my geese!

6. flockman

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Are they much calmer? Are they gentle giants? ;)

7. maransfan16

maransfan16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    i don't know but i have two african they have dewlaps but they are smallish the way i am told is that the females have extra skin that hangs down between the legs and that held true with mine she has three folds between her legs and helooks like your buff nice and flat between the legs here are some pic of mine to show what i mean the female is the bottom picture notice the extra skin between the legs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  8. zooweemama

She/he doesn't seem quite as high strung. Slower moving. Still loud- just more of a baritone rather than a soprano? lol Even when agitated she/he is not particularly 'bitey' like my hatchery gander is/or can be. He does goose people if they give their back to him for very long. She isn't interested in that- but neither is my hatchery goose. My female hatchery goose is pretty laid back unless you hold her ducks or her man then she honks at you (never bites though). I would have to say a little calmer overall, not any less quiet but the honk is a deeper. And honestly? Deeply gorgeous. I'm in love with her/him. Waffles doesn't have much of a bump on her head yet but her dewlap grew very early. When you pet her, she is pretty accepting. She hasn't imprinted on people so assume she is pretty 'goose like' and would likely be very very friendly had she imprinted on us more than the 2 or so week we had in with us.

9. flockman

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    It sure sounds like you have a girl. My American buff gander is big on bluffing but only nipped me when I took his mate's body from him. He does sure talk a lot though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by