Dewlap Toulouse Breeders

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Dwen, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    I have a question for you.

I have read that Dewlaps cannot tolerate inbreeding, so I am hoping to aquire some this spring for new genotypes. My question is, If my original pair is from Holderread farm, where can I get quality breeders from different bloodlines?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    What color are you looking for? If you really want outside bloodlines you are talking importing birds to truly be as far away from anything that might be remotely related to your birds. Most dont find importing an option though. So the next best thing to do is seek the highest quality you can find in the states at a price you are willing to pay. This will mean searching out breeders, speaking with them, looking at their stock and making a choice based on what is available come spring, or fall if you want to know the quality you are buying (since buying goslings will be unknown quality when small)

3. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    I already have grays, So I will stick with them for now, and no, I don't think my budget could handle importing, although just for knowings sake, where would you import from? France? I suppose they originated from there.
    As for searching out breeders, I imagine this means internet and shows. Suppose I found someone, though, how would I know where their stock is from? Are there special named lines, or is it more "I bought them from so-n-so who got them from here"?

Thanks-

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Most here in the states likely trace back to the same imported stock originally. You will be tracing each breeders lines as you find them. We have buffs and 1 grey, I can tell you the grey is likely DHW lines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by