Dewlap Toulouse geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by poultrymaniac, Aug 23, 2014.

1. poultrymaniac

poultrymaniac Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2013
    I have been searching for information on the dewlap toulouse but I can't find much. I know they are hard to breed and fatter than most Texans, but I still have some questions.

What age do they start laying?

When are they ready to butcher?

How can I maximize fertility?

Will they crush their eggs when sitting?

And anything else you can add that can be helpful is appreciated.

2. poultrymaniac

May 14, 2013
    Anyone?

3. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

Sorry, I have no answers to your questions. But, I hope that you live in Texas so that you can back up that comment.

Just hang on...there are a lot of very knowledgeable goose people here and I am sure one will answer as soon as they can.

4. poultrymaniac

May 14, 2013
    Ok I'll be waiting

5. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  6. poultrymaniac

May 14, 2013
    my Muscovies could incubate them right?

7. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    yes ![​IMG]

8. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    I hope that helps some.

9. Mic's Chicks

Mic's Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Joshua, TX
    I am in Texas and have 4 Dewlap Toulouse. Mine turned a year old this past spring. They are 2 pair that I got from Holderread Waterfowl as hatchlings spring 2013.

Both my females laid several eggs this year however I do NOT think any where fertile. I did attempt to incubate some and also put some under a broody chicken. Then I let the geese also sit on several.

My geese do not have access to a pond or large body of water. My understanding is that the dewlaps need water at least 18 inches deep to breed naturally and even then they may not be successful. Mine have 3 kiddie pools but they just are not deep enough.

My females sat on their eggs forever and where very protective of those eggs. They did not crush or crack any.

l hope that someday I am able to fence the perimeter of my back pasture with a more predator proof fence so that they can access my stock tank at least during their breeding season. I have also already paid and am "on the list" to get 2 more pair from Holderread for next Spring '15.

I could just sit and watch my Dewlaps all day. They walk all over about 3 acres of my yard during the day and are penned in a stall every night.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have a large kiddy pool that mine us for bathing and mating I don't have Dewlap Toulouse but i believe Ian Utah uses Kiddy pools for her Dewlaps. Your Dewlaps are gorgeous

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by