1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dewlap Toulouse Hatched! Last Photos 6/30..I promise!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Calebs Acre, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    I put a candled egg up to my ear and heard the beak tapping on the egg and there was a tiny pip!!!! OH MY GOSH!!! I AM EXCITED AND THE OTHER HAS A BEAK MOVING!!!! BOTH HAVE INTERNALLY PIPPED!!! OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH!!!!!

THIS IS SO EXCITING!!! I DON'T WANT THEM TO DIE!!!! I WANT THEM TO MAKE IT!!!!! OH MY GOSH! DEWLAPS ARE COMING, I HOPE!!!!!!!!!

HELP! I hatched my first silkie day before yesterday, but DEWLAPS? I hear how hard they are to hatch! They are going into the higher humidity incubator right now. I am excited and so scared. I hear so many horror stories about them just dying while they hatch. AND....they can take up to two days to hatch.....I am going to try to just leave them alone, if possible.

They are eBay eggs, too, so I am even more scared after hearing the eBay horror stories! And the low % hatching rate for dewlaps. OH my goodness. All of my other geese were bought live so this is my first real BABIES! If they make it, I'm putting their brooder in my BEDROOM! Can you tell I am excited? Getting the camera ready.......

Am I already addicted, would you say? I think I have a problem.

Nancy

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2008
  2. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I'll have my fingers crossed for you. Hope they both hatch, soon.

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Any updates?

4. Calebs Acre

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    Now, they are just sitting there. My dewlap friends tell me that I have to be patient and keep my hands out of the incubator. It could be 2-3 DAYS for them to hatch! This is pure torture.

I'm extra worried because we were candling the egg when it pipped and I was told that the membrane can dry out in as little as 30 seconds and it took longer than that to get the egg back to the bator. The other dewlap may or may not have externally pipped...I cannot see and I cannot open the incubator.....So, I am checking every couple of hours to see if there is any movement.

The inner voice says, "Nancy, go sit back down and leave them alone." So, I am prepared for a long wait, I guess. Excitement has turned to WORRY.

5. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have decided I have no patience for hatching! My hands would be all over those eggs if I were you, good thing I'm not you. [​IMG]

I can't stand to wait. [​IMG] I'm gettin' a broody next time. This hatching stuff stresses me out. [​IMG] I have 3 runners that just hatched and two more waiting, plus a whole bunch of cochin eggs...and then I go out to change the water in the aviary and find 3 call duck eggs. I don't think I even want to start this all over again so they might just have to be wasted.

I hope your's hatch...I'm thinking healthy baby dewlap thoughts for you! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Calebs Acre

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    Ducky:
    Thanks for the healthy dewlap thoughts...you can send me all the call duck eggs in the world! I would love to hatch those little tiny babies!! I need a white pair and a butterscotch pair and....

Don't WASTE THEM!!! I'll pay shipping. I have two incubators going now and by the time THIS is over, I should have learned SOMETHING! LOL.

7. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:They're yours. Send me a PM. I can't guarantee fertility but this pair is 2 years old so chances are they are fertile. He's been doing the deed with anyone who stands still long enough. [​IMG]

8. Calebs Acre

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    OK.....nothing to report on egg 1. Sitting still and quiet. But, this morning, egg 2 externally pipped!! It's been sitting still since then, too. Can't hear them because I am NOT opening the lid, as advised by EVERYONE.
    So....it is slow and long and arduous. As I was awake last night, I searched all over Craig's List and went all over today to pick up Little Tykes Playhouses for my ducks and geese. My back yard will look like a daycare center soon. But, it kept me away from the incubator.
    Now, what to do tonight? Hmmmmm.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  9. Calebs Acre

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    We have tiny cracks on both eggs now and there has been some rocking and rolling. I think we're heading in the right direction. If I never had patience in the past...this should help me work on it.

10. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Yay! Glad to hear things are right on track. You're definately more patient than I.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by