Dewlap trait

3xhhheather

Crowing
May 8, 2020
Finger Lakes, NY/5B
Curious if anyone knows if a Dewlap is an inherited trait? One of my girls is supposed to be a Buff Dewlap, but the order was mixed up and she's just a regular Buff. She and my gander (dewlap) have paired up and his personality is actually great for a male. Since she seems keen to sit on a nest, I'm wondering if I let her hatch some goslings what the odds are that they'll inherit the dewlap I love so much <3

I can only give you a few clews from African Dewlap Geese, Im not sure but I think your asking about Toulouse. So here I go.
In the African Its quality of Breeding. Many of the Dewlap and other traits were given up for production. I have one girl who is a production African (very slight dewlap trait and a very good mama) I have paired her with a Dewlap African this year they make a great couple. My girl Caries the weight and lays the same size eggs as my Dewlap girls. My reason for Pairing is to keep her girls and bring them back into the flock. She is one of the healthy geese I have ever had determined and smart. Her girls should have a little more dewlap and make good breeding stock. So thous Babies will probably produce some fine geese.
Yep this is al wishes in the making.

My first buff dewlap goose had no dewlap for the first couple years of her life, and then she started to slowly develop one. She is 10 years old now, and you cannot tell her dewlap apart from any other dewlap toulouse. I have another buff girl with a less pronounced dewlap and her mate has gorgeous dewlap and their babies develop dewlaps like their father.

Finally, while I have not crossed my dewlap toulouse with any other breeds, I do have one gander out of an african dewlap gander/production toulouse goose accidentally born here a couple years ago. He is a very good looking bird, with a large dewlap.

One final note... I've never had a dewlap toulouse successfully hatch her own babies, but my production toulouse are the exact opposite. In fact, my one buff production toulouse is the best hatcher I've ever had, and would hatch two large clutches per year if I let her.

Back
Top Bottom