Dewormer and antibiotics at the same time?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tanka, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Tanka

Tanka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I'm planning on deworming my chickens tomorrow with safeguard paste for horses. One of my girls got a cut inside her mouth that looks like it's starting to get infected. Can I use the safeguard and give her the duramycin-10 at the same time? And should I deworm my 19 week old chickens too while I'm at it?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't see anything wrong with deworming and treating with Duramycin at the same time, since she isn't acting sick. A wound infection might respond more to penicillin or erythromycin (Gallimycin.) Worming the 19 week olds sounds like a winner since you won't have to toss eggs for 14 days after the last worming. Be sure to re-worm after 10 days to get the worm larvae.

3. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    I'm not trying to step on anybody's toes or anything, but I actually have a little experience in this area. Not to imply that no one else out there has any experience, but...oh well, hopefully I won't offend anyone. So here it goes...
    ...Most oral antibiotics should be the only thing in the water besides the water. That includes vitamins, electrolytes, etc. This is because the chemicals in each may react with one another and seriously effect the outcome of the treatment.
    For example...the active ingredient in one can cancel out the active ingredient in the other, thus rendering both drugs ineffective. Unfortunately, by the time you figure this out, it may be too late to save your chicken.
    I'll finish up this post by clarifying two things:
    1. I am NOT a veterinarian, nor do I claim to be.
    2. I am a person who administers medications.
    So PLEASE, everyone, I encourage you to do research of your own before mixing ANY medications together that were not specifically prescribed as such.
    Don't take somebody else's word as fact...even my own !!! The life of your pet depends on you...
    Thanks for reading.
    Again, I apologize if I offended anyone, it was NEVER my intention to do that by posting this OPINION !!!

1 person likes this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have used Safeguard with other antibiotics like Baytril, metronidazole and Clavamox.

-Kathy

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I agree, but he OP has antibiotics in the water and is going to give the wormer orally. Pretty sure both are okay to use together.

-Kathy

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, I meant that it was okay to give SafeGuard paste by mouth, not to mix a wormer in the Duramycin water. I also don't recommend mixing medications in the water.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What worries me most about putting "stuff" in the water is that they won't like the taste and won't drink it.

-Kathy

8. Tanka

Tanka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Thanks everyone! I've read before that two different medications shouldn't be mixed in water together, and if I'm using the paste it wouldn't mix well in water. So I thought it would be awesome if I could get both meds in at once that way I can minimize the amount of eggs I have to toss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by