dewormer for pekin ducks

kari1981

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 23, 2014
Hello i have a few questions. I have done some research but I am still unsure so I wanted to ask this forum cuz you all have helped me so much, I have never wormed my ducks and they are 6 months old. I grabbed the safeguard equine paste and didnt realize i should of grabbed the goat one. Is it okay to use this horse one? And what would my dosage be? thank you. I really think one of my ladies has gapeworm cuz shes had this cough for months and tylan hasnt cured it. So i thought worming would be next solution

I bought safeguard equine and gave a pea size. Now im not sure if im suppose to do it once or more days

I bought safeguard equine and gave a pea size. Now im not sure if im suppose to do it once or more days
A medium sized pea size amount might not be enough, just depends on how much she weighs... The amount of paste you want to give is 0.23ml per pound for five days in a row, That should take care of almost all worms that ducks get. This shows how much medicine is in the different sized amounts:

From left to right:
Small = 10mg ( .1cc)
Medium = 25mg (.25cc)
Large = 50mg ( .5cc)

50 mg/kg (0.23ml per pound) for five days is what you need to do to treat capillary worms.

Note that Panacur and Safeguard paste are the same, both are 10% fenbendazole (100mg/gram). Also not that 1ml of paste weighs 1 gram, so 1ml of paste is equal to 1ml of liquid (100mg/ml).

1ml of 10% paste = 100mg fenbendazole
1ml of 10% liquid = 100mg fenbendazole

-Kathy

Awesome reply,thank you so much. I was just unsure and didnt want to do another dose and hurt them, thanks

Awesome reply,thank you so much. I was just unsure and didnt want to do another dose and hurt them, thanks
Don't worry about hurting them, it is one of the safest wormers and is used in cats, kittens, dogs, puppies, breeding mares, breeding stallions, foals, calves, cows, bulls, swine, goats, sheep, reptiles, birds, etc. The only time I don't use it on one is when I think they aren't going to make it through the night, but your duck doesn't sound that sick. Capillary worms and gapeworms both require a higher dose for several days.

-Kathy

This is my first time owning ducks... actually any bird in general... I have 4 ducks about 12 weeks old and 5 ducklings a week and a half old ... I'm clueless about medicine for them or what they need or don't need on this topic so I would like to now if I need to do anything like in an example puppies get a series of shots and stuff do ducks need stuff too ... I'm very confused and want to do it right to give them the best quality of life I can offer.

Last edited:
Rachele ann, that is so nice to read!

It takes time to learn it all. I have not de-wormed my ducks. They are almost five years old. Some just don't seem to have parasite problems. I do get fecal tests done from time to time.

Have you seen this?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

There is also Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, and The Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook - two very good resources. The first is for duck owners in general, including farmers, the second as the title says, is for pet ducks and goes into some more detail about some things.

I have both.

Rachele ann, that is so nice to read!

It takes time to learn it all.  I have not de-wormed my ducks.  They are almost five years old.  Some just don't seem to have parasite problems.  I do get fecal tests done from time to time.

Have you seen this?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

There is also Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, and The Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook - two very good resources.  The first is for duck owners in general, including farmers, the second as the title says, is for pet ducks and goes into some more detail about some things.

I have both.
I'm going to invest in a book to have on hand for times when I'm unsure.. I'm glad to hear that others don't worm theirs because I found this thread and I thought oh no this never crossed my mind lol so I just thought I'll ask to make sure that I haven't missed something very critical or important :)

Quote: If I were you I would find a vet that sees poultry and figure out a way to have routine fecals done. No need to worm if they don't find worm eggs.
big_smile.png
Personally, I don't worm my ducks unless they get sick.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom