DeWormer Question - MultiSpecies

U_Stormcrow

Crossing the Road
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
We have cat, dogs, chickens, ducks, goats. The chickens, ducks, goats all hare the same water source. I'm seeing signs suggesdting their *may* be a worm issue in the flock, and would like to treat as a prophylactic - likely by dosing the 275 gal water totes. We also have a new, "feral" (not really) cat on juvenile flea meds, recently rescued, too young to even spay, from far away. The possibility she may have, or have brought, worms is also a consideration.

My vet, frankly, is fine for cats and dogs, worthless for anything else. and we are sort of remote.

Is there a product you might recommend and dosing instructions? Flubendazole? Ivermectin? Some other -mectin?

Here is a photo of my ivermectin instructions. The only difference is what picture animal they put on the package. They are all identical ingredients Ivermectin 1%. The ivermecrin injectible is able to be taken orally, so i administer the injectible to my animals orally. I had a vet confirm this, and i also have tried it myself and it tastes identical to the oral drops. I have bottles with dogs and cats pictures that is 1%, bunnies and chickens and rats that is 1%, and a bottle that is in the picture is identical to the other animals medicine.

You may want to find out what type of worm you have to make sure the medicine will work. But maybe other medicines are better or more available to you, this is the only one i have tried on all my animals.

Fenbendazole and albendazole also works good on chickens.

Screenshot_20211125-204838_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211125-210430_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211125-210412_Gallery.jpg

Dosages are different for each of the animals you want to worm, no matter what anthelmintic is available on the market.
Results of giving too much or too little can have serious consequences including death.
It's best to deworm each animal individually orally or at the very least a group of the same animals ie; chicken flock only, goats herd only etc...
There is no easy way.

It would be way easier to dose each animal individually with a shot of medicine in the mouth. Dosing a 275 gal water supply is very unreliable and unpredictable when the medicines stagnate in water.

If you dont want to use liquid dewormer, maybe you could dose their food with the safeguard fenbendazoke powder 5 day method. There are threads about it.

For the oral liquids, Dogs you just shoot the medicine in the back of their throat with a 10ml syringe. Cats i suspect is the same. I have never dewormed ducks except using the fenbendazole powder in their food, i dont think ducks have worm problems.

Goats also get oral dewormer. You probably have dewormed them before? Chickens i give oral drops individually at night when needed. How you deworm them depends on preference.

Sorry i forgot who made this post about fenbendazole powder dose but here is an idea.
Screenshot_20211126-073553_Gallery.jpg

Here I am, frequently the poster answering "its complicated" and "no easy answers", asking for...

an easy answer. :he

My flock is in my sig, its big cokmpared to many, they share the same space (goats, chickens, and ducks). Individual treatment is impractical. The cat, at least, I can treat individually - its new, was a stray, and is still too young to get fixed, but it needs to see the vet anyways.

The goats I obtained from another owner, they were already adults and NOT socialized to humans. Only one will let me touch it at all - and almost never tolerates a check of the lower eyelid forcolor and consistency. Last month, it was fine.

Why am I worried?

Last night, the cat was retching up white foam, wouldn't eat all day or drink. Its new and a stray - so an infection vector, and also not on a wormer. At the same time, though the temps have fallen around here, some of my chickens have had some looser droppings - more like whipped fudge icing or brown spray foam than I'm used to seeing, and a few of them were deposited with a small bit of liquid. There have been tiny dark brown/black dots in a few - which could be anything.

Oh, and I'm unusually cautious because my sole female goat just had twin boys, still you young for their CDT shots.

New dad syndrome???

Mitigating, I butchered five birds last week, got all up inside them. Typical size for the age, good body condition, typical meat on the keel and fat layers, good liver and kidney colors (dark, uniform, glossy), nothing unusual in the intestinal tract based on external inspection, heart and gizzard in good shape too.

In any event, I appreciate the information offered, have no idea how much the goats weigh, and will try to figure a way to dose the feed. With your very helpful input, that's my best option, since at least they are fed mostly seperate.

THANK YOU ALL!

Here is a photo of my ivermectin instructions. The only difference is what picture animal they put on the package. They are all identical ingredients Ivermectin 1%. The ivermecrin injectible is able to be taken orally, so i administer the injectible to my animals orally. I had a vet confirm this, and i also have tried it myself and it tastes identical to the oral drops. I have bottles with dogs and cats pictures that is 1%, bunnies and chickens and rats that is 1%, and a bottle that is in the picture is identical to the other animals medicine.

You may want to find out what type of worm you have to make sure the medicine will work. But maybe other medicines are better or more available to you, this is the only one i have tried on all my animals.

Fenbendazole and albendazole also works good on chickens.

View attachment 2909609
View attachment 2909616
View attachment 2909617
Interestingly, there is no mention of poultry on those instructions. Only cows, sheep, goats, and pigs.

I don't have cats, so can't say the specific medication to use, but I used to work for vets. Since cats kill and eat other animals and often get fleas, make sure any dewormer you use deworms for all worms and BOTH kinds of tape worms.

I just dewormed my ducks with Ivermectin Pour on for cattle, and mabye you could use on goats, I don't remember. We used 1 drop on Calls, 3 on the Australian Spotted and Indian Runners, and 5 drops on the Cayugas and Pekins. Depending on how many they needed, we spaced them out, one about an inch from the vent, 1 under each wing, and if their size required more then on the back of shoulders.

Back
Top Bottom