Dewormer question - NEED FACTS!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by masloozinit76, Oct 31, 2014.

1. masloozinit76

masloozinit76 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    I am getting SOOOO much mixed information on dewormers and egg withdrawal. I am hoping to nail down what is TRUE.

Safeguard - what is the correct egg withdrawal when using equine paste and giving a pea size amount directly to the chicken, not in water. I have heard no egg withdrawal all the way up to 2 weeks egg withdrawal, then repeat 2 weeks after for a total of a MONTH of egg withdrawal!

Valbazen - Same question and I have heard 10-14 day egg withdrawal with repeat so still almost a month of withdrawal.

If you can recommend a better one, please do! I am HOPING to find one with no egg withdrawal but it seems that is only available in the UK. Bummer. Thanks!!

(I'm not sure my girls even have worms, this is for future use. I am taking a fecal in for testing)

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    No egg withdrawal, no flubenvet, not in UK. Use this:
    http://www.jefferspet.com/products/triple-action-multi-wormer
    It wont kill tapeworms if your birds have them.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  3. klilly20

klilly20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Kentucky, USA
    I use so far the rooster booster and diatomacoeus earth food grade there is no withdraw on either one. Becky's homestead on you tube explains on the usage of Diatomacoeus earth and how much to give

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The Rooster Booster triple wormer is an effective wormer. DE will not prevent nor treat worms. DE is ineffective when wet, inside the chickens innards are wet.

5. klilly20

Sep 28, 2014
    Kentucky, USA
    You hear so many people talk about DE and swear by it. Me myself I have just started using it. Supposing it is a anti caking agent and used for dusting and treatment for parasites. I have lost to many turkeys to the black head disease. I will cover all bases. If does not work no harm since it is food grade.

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    If you've lost many turkeys to blackhead, DE won't prevent it, nor will it prevent intestinal worms. I used a DE product marketed for use in feed as a dewormer for an entire year a number of years ago. Guess what? Some hens revealed intestinal worms, and an effective anthelmintic proved effective. Hygromycin-B will destroy three types of worms if enough is ingested, but won't kill the Histomonas protozoa which cause Blackhead.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

8. klilly20

Sep 28, 2014
    Kentucky, USA
    I bought so many treatments everything from goat wormer to milk thistle and rooster booster and of course DE because people has their experiences of these treatments and say they will work and I even heard that fishzole works. Yea I lost turkeys to black head disease because of my ignorance not knowing that turkeys can not be raised with chickens. I got bit by the black disease and trying to do what I can to keep the remaining turkey I have alive. I have spent so much on treatments and at lost as what really works

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

10. klilly20

Sep 28, 2014
    Kentucky, USA
    Yea I do remember that conversation and did everything that was suggested but still I get so many other suggestions from others. So far the only turkey I have has not show any symptoms just trying to prevent it. I guess there so many companies and others that help these companies to promote their products that just love people like me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by