Dewormer question

22ChickenNuggets

Songster
Mar 11, 2021
So as previous posts made. I have a hen who’s acting funky for the last couple days. Lethargic, watery poop, today she’s not eating. Comb isn't pale. She’s in the past laid soft shell eggs. She had free choice of oyster shell. Today she was in the box for an hour didn’t lay. So anyway I was told to try deworming my flock “just In case” so will doing a dewormer without actually knowing it’s worms cause any issues I’m going to deworm the entire flock at this point. I’m at a loss with the girl, I dont know how to make her feel better. I called my vet but she’s booked up and can’t see me until next week. She doesn’t look egg bound. I don’t know what to do. 😢😢

You have to physically feel the crop in the morning to see if it's empty.

Her stance reminds me of bird that is having reproductive issues. I would give her extra calcium (1 Caltrate with D3) once a day for 3-5 days.

You may be right that she has infection. Hopefully the vet can see her.
100% probably a reproductive infection. And literally no vets available. And it’s sucks. I’m curious if I should just euthanize.

Maybe try treating for coccidiosis. You can get Corid powder at TCS or get the liquid or powder on Amazon. I like the liquid. Anyone else in the flock has watery poop?

How old is your hen?
When did she last lay an egg?
Could you post a picture of her poop? Is it just water or rather albumen? Does it contain normal parts as well?
Could she have ingested something moldy?

ETA: What is your question regarding deworming?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threadloom/search?query=deworming&tab=620
She’s 5 months she’s been laying now for 32 days (red sexlink) she hasn’t laid in egg in probably 2 days, the last time 100% sure it was a soft shell egg. She’s known to do this. Even with calcium available. I did end up just deworming her anyway. She’s been in my house 3 days now. I did notice her crop wasn’t empty this morning, so I took her food away and just have water and I’m also syringing water. I can’t get into my vet, she’s booked up solid and she’s the only one in my area that sees chickens. This has been her poop the last few days
B02B2531-7783-45AB-A01C-978C50D5FB11.jpeg

I did recently change food, because after talking to people in the forum, having a rooster and some girls that aren’t laying, feeding layer pellets wasn’t a good idea. So I switched to Nutrena All flock, but did it gradually over 3 days.

She’s 5 months she’s been laying now for 32 days (red sexlink)
This would mean that she started laying at 15+ weeks, which I would consider as very young and still immature, even for a sex link. Starting too early often causes harm to their still immature reproduction system and might lead to chronic issues further on, as they not only start to early, but lay too big size and too many eggs as well. The necessary amount of calcium for such an enormous output often can hardly be metabolized.

Did the soft shell eggs already occur while feeding the layer feed, or did it start after switching to all flock?
I did end up just deworming her anyway.
Well done, worms can do much harm and deworming is easy to do.

What are the actual temperatures where you live?

Back
Top Bottom