Dewormer that can be added to food or water? (bloody poop)

I wouldn't panic yet. My littles poop looked better the first day, but the 2nd, 3rd & 4th didnt look good. I'm on day 6 now & it looks 99% normal. I'm hoping you see a good difference in the next couple/few days. Then if not hopefully your new meds will arrive. But keep going with the corid, hopefully it kicks in.

Did you call when you ordered the meds and ask when should it arrive?
Turns out they were out of stock, but I was able to get some Bactrim (Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim 800-160). Thanks to my friends who never finish their antibiotics!
The pills are giant. Maybe I can crush them and put them in the water.

Can I discontinue the corid? It is day 5 now.

I wouldn't panic yet. My littles poop looked better the first day, but the 2nd, 3rd & 4th didnt look good. I'm on day 6 now & it looks 99% normal. I'm hoping you see a good difference in the next couple/few days. Then if not hopefully your new meds will arrive. But keep going with the corid, hopefully it kicks in.
The chick's poops look 99% normal here too, but it's the cecal poops that are still bloody and they only do that at night.

but I was able to get some Bactrim (Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim 800-160). Thanks to my friends who never finish their antibiotics!
I so dont approve of people not finishing their antibiotics, but that's where I get most of my stuff too lol.

You'll need to look up how to dose it for the birds, and then probably crush it up and add it to water to make a solution. I'm not sure the shelf life on it once its diluted like that, so I wouldnt make too much at one time, but opt for a fresh mix each day (though I didn't do this with my squirrels and they were fine *doesnt follow own advice*)

Turns out they were out of stock, but I was able to get some Bactrim (Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim 800-160). Thanks to my friends who never finish their antibiotics!

Can I discontinue the corid? It is day 5 now.
Quarter the pills with a pill cutter and give one quarter orally to each chicken that's showing blood in feces. Do this for 5 days straight and stop the corid.
Crushing and putting the pills in water is ineffective, the granules arnt soluble. Been there done that.

Does this look like an improvement? This is after 5 days of corid (full strength), 3 days of corid (half strength), 2 days of sulfa (1 tsp per gallon)
IMG_0771.JPG IMG_0772.JPG

I stopped sulfa after 6 days, since the blood had stopped. after one day, blood has returned for multiple chicks (now 9 weeks old). should i give corid again, or sulfa? both?

Schedule so far:
5 days of severe dose corid
3 days of mild dose corid
6 days sulfa
1 day nothing

IMG_0790.JPG IMG_0791.JPG

How are the chickens acting? Are they eating and drinking? Sulfa is rather harsh on kidneys. You may be seeing some leftover bloody mucus from the intestines. I would try some probiotics in plain yogurt or buttermilk, and some vitamins.

How are the chickens acting? Are they eating and drinking? Sulfa is rather harsh on kidneys. You may be seeing some leftover bloody mucus from the intestines. I would try some probiotics in plain yogurt or buttermilk, and some vitamins.
They are fine, eating and drinking and active. So, no corid and no sulfa, and instead give probiotics? Thanks, I would rather do that than keep using medications. Have a good Thanksgiving!!

Back
Top Bottom