Dewormer that can be added to food or water? (bloody poop)

As we always like to recommend, if you can get a fecal float on any questionable droppings, it can determine if there is more coccidia or worms. But if they seem fine, I would try to get their gut bacteria back into shape.

They are fine, eating and drinking and active. So, no corid and no sulfa, and instead give probiotics? Thanks, I would rather do that than keep using medications. Have a good Thanksgiving!!
I agree with Eggcessive, time for probiotics. In this instance, I highly recommend plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk. Buttermilk is an excellent probiotic and will coat the intestinal lining and is easily absorbed. It is a much better probiotic than yogurt. Yogurt tends to run out the rear end. The plain boiled white rice will help settle the innards. Give them this for several days and you can mix it in their feed if you wish.

@SarahGfa I'm sorry to see this. Ugh. Please keep me updated, I'm a few days behind you on treatment, but know I'll end up the same way! I'm confident it's damage to the gut, those cocci have to be dead with all the treatments.

I tried to get buttermilk but the store is out, but I still have 2 days left of the sulfa.

@SarahGfa I'm sorry to see this. Ugh. Please keep me updated, I'm a few days behind you on treatment, but know I'll end up the same way! I'm confident it's damage to the gut, those cocci have to be dead with all the treatments.

I tried to get buttermilk but the store is out, but I still have 2 days left of the sulfa.
I am giving them rooster booster probiotics right now. Stores were closed yesterday. Another thing I thought of, what if the chickens are getting infected again from the dirt? I can't disinfect the yard so they might be picking up cocci again. Is that possible?

My chicks had very bloody poos but we weren't medicating them, thought it was cocci so took them all to the vet, they gave a powder for worming and I put it in their food and it got rid if them very quickly.

I am giving them rooster booster probiotics right now. Stores were closed yesterday. Another thing I thought of, what if the chickens are getting infected again from the dirt? I can't disinfect the yard so they might be picking up cocci again. Is that possible?
My understanding is once they were infected & then treated they had an immunity to it. I tend to lean more toward the bad gut, but I also did the fecal so I know mine definitely don't have it anymore (or I assume anyway). I forget, did you say a fecal was not an option?

My understanding is once they were infected & then treated they had an immunity to it. I tend to lean more toward the bad gut, but I also did the fecal so I know mine definitely don't have it anymore (or I assume anyway). I forget, did you say a fecal was not an option?
All the vets around me said I have to bring the animal for an exam before doing a fecal. If this was a favorite hen I would do that, but the sick chicks are not important enough. Sorry, chicks :(

All the vets around me said I have to bring the animal for an exam before doing a fecal. If this was a favorite hen I would do that, but the sick chicks are not important enough. Sorry, chicks :(
I hear that. The jerk avian vet here said the same thing - he actually said he needs to have seen them in the last year. I was like uhhh, they're chickens, I'm supposed to bring the whole flock in for yearly check ups so I can do a fecal? :smack Get outta here...

Back
Top Bottom