Dewormer -- What do you use?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SkyWarrior, May 19, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Today I noticed a bit of blood and what looks like small worms in one of the chick's poop. Don't know how that happened since they're in a barn. [​IMG] My chicks' ages range from 5 weeks to 12 weeks. What do you use to worm (piperazine?) and how much? And what brand is safe? I've wormed dogs, but not chickens.

Suggestions?

2. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    i would like to no the same thing??

3. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    I use Wazine. It is for poultry and it has the dose on the back. Just follow the directions. I found the same thing only no blood in my adult pen this morning and put them on the wazine right away.

4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Yep, I use Wazine also.

5. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:I looked it up. Says not for egg layers? Or only when the eggs are being laid?

6. beckt

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    I have used it for years. I always use the rule of 2 week withdrawl time before eating eggs. I have had no problems doing it this way. Alot of people will say use DE but it will not get rid of worms if they already have them. It is used as a preventative. I used to use DE but still found that they can get worms. JMHO

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    beckt is correct, use wazine...one ounce per gallon...wait 2 weeks to eat eggs. DE is useless if your chicks/chickens already have worms.

8. beckt

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    oh, in case you need to know 1oz is 2 Tablespoons.

9. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Thanks! I gave the Quality Supply a call and they have it. So, guess who will be deworming her birds this weekend?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by