Dewormers for Organic Egg Layers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redbuffalo, Jan 2, 2010.

1. redbuffalo

redbuffalo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    I have a flock that I have tried to raise as organic as possible and am looking for a good dewormer to follow along with that philosophy. I have not seen any evidence of worms yet did just lose a hen to a unknown cause and want to rule worms out. We do eat their eggs, which is a concern with from what I've read with a lot of dewormers. I am also started my group on a round of terramyacin as I have another girl who is off. Can you deworm while treating with antibiotics? Is there a no egg eating period with the antibiotics as well?

Thanks!
    Tracy

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    You don't want to eat the eggs while your girls are on antibiotics. Feed them back to the girls. For organic deworming, try some FOOD GRADE DE (diatomaceous earth). Sprinkle on food daily as a preventative.

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I don't believe there are any "organic" dewormers once you have worms. There are plenty of organic "preventatives" that are mentioned such as raw pumpkin seeds, apple cider vinegar, garlic, and DE. The only one I would vouch for is DE, as it is well established. But to reiterate--treating your chickens with DE or any other "organic preventative" after you have established that they have worms is pretty much useless. If you are trying to go in an organic direction, I would only treat if you have strong evidence of worms, such as a fecal float (that a vet can do if you suspect worms), or actually seeing one in their poo. Then you will also know the correct medicine to use. I have to point out that treating your entire flock with antibiotics because one girl is "off" is not at all organic. You need to figure out what is wrong with her, quarantine her if necessary, and get the RIGHT medicine for her illness. Indiscriminate use of antibiotics in the factory farms is creating "superbugs" that we are ingesting (just read an article on this)--they are highly resistant to most antibiotics, very dangerous.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Verm-X www.verm-x.com I think it works to rid them as well as prevent them.

5. dlolato

dlolato Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2009
    Pryor
    If you feed the eggs back to the girls that are medicated, you are keeping the medication cycle going. Our Vet told us to dispose of the eggs.......if you feed them to the chickens, then you have to add one more day for each day you feed them to the girls for abstonance to humans.

6. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
  7. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:That's what I was going to suggest!

8. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Verm-X is only preventative as well, as I understand it. It's a great product, but if they are already infested I don't think it actually deworms. I have heard of like dandelion, mixed with other stuff to deworm.

9. redbuffalo

redbuffalo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    Thanks so much for all of the great advice and links! Very helpful:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by