1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dewormers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by virgilini, Jan 16, 2007.

1. virgilini

virgilini Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    Hi, I'm still fairly new to raising chickens. I have a small flock of 9 hens and 1 rooster. My question is, should I deworm my chickens? They are free range on a horse farm. I've had mixed suggestions. Some say yes some say no. And if I should deworm, what should I use? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kim

2. Wes in Tx

Wes in Tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    Hi Kim and welcome to the site. For every person you ask this question you will get a different answer. The best advice I can give is to collect a poop sample from some of your birds and take it to the vet and have a fecal float test done. Will cost about $20. Keep in mind you can get false negetives when doing it. If you do this the vet can recommend the best meds to give you birds for the type worms they may have especially since there isn't an approved wormer for birds laying eggs for human consumption.

3. virgilini

virgilini Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    Hi Wes,
    Thanks for the advice. I will collect some samples and take them to my vet.

Kim

4. bubblez89

bubblez89 New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    I know this isn't the right place but I can't figure out how to start my own thread thingy lol. So I have Chinese painted quail and have taken the eggs away today as they stopped sitting I was candeling the eggs to see if any had been fertile and if any were still alive and well I spotted something very strange! (Only one of the eggs) when candled it has what looks like a cluster of eggs inside the egg! The egg doesn't look fertile and has no sign of life. I am going to crack the egg open to inspect but I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this before or knows what it is?? I've tried to search it online with nothing helping! I'm a little worried for the healthy of my hens, they have produced a lovely clutch of chicks this year that all but 4 out of 19 have hatched. So they were healthy a couple of months ago. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. Also sorry for posting this in the wrong place!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by