Deworming chickens?????????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bragan, Mar 18, 2011.

1. bragan

bragan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Rainbow City, AL
    We have an order of chicks due to arrive in a few weeks. I've been reading on a couple of posts about worming chickens & now I have LOTS of questions!
    ~How often should you worm them?
    ~At what age should you start?
    ~Is there anything that is effective, but safe...........won't affect the eggs?? Most of what I've read talks about having to throw out the eggs for a couple of weeks.
    ~Do chickens get the same kinds of worms that dogs & cats do & people can get?? We have big indoor dogs (a German Shepherd & a Standard Poodle) & 1 cat, they've never had worms. I am super paranoid about intestinal, or any sort of internal parasite!!!! ICK!!!

Thanks for any info!![​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Depending on where you live will dictate how often you should worm. Being down south, you will likely need to worm your birds twice a year. Everyone has mixed views on what age to start worming. I didn't worm mine until they were 2 years old, but I live up north where there are fewer worms. Again, based on where you live I might start them on a regimen at 6-9 months old. There are many products out there to use for worming, but you will need to toss your eggs for a withdrawal period after using most wormers. Generally worms are species specific. There are a few that cross species lines, but most stick to one host.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by