Deworming - meds & eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MomMommyMamma, Dec 4, 2010.

1. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    The fecal sample for one of our birds came back as +1 Ascarid...
    I gather from the forum that I need to use Ivermectin? I have some Corid - will it not work on this parasite? It looks like (from reading other threads) that I treat and then treat again in 2 weeks? From the first dose of medicine - how long until the eggs are safe to eat?
    Thank you so much!

2. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:Read through it - great info! The Valbazen looks like the recommended route since our birds are only about 7 mo. old. However, at $35 - $40 for a bottle (which would treat 1,000 birds and we have only 25), I'm wondering if I can use Ivermectin instead (a friend has some & is willing to share). Will this do the job and how much do I use for how long?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi I use wazine to kill the roundworms and Ivermectin pour on in 10 days place it on the neck right above the wings on the skin be sure to get it on their skin. It will also kill any bugs they may have

5. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:You say the ivermectin will "kill any bugs they may have" - meaning the worms that have hatched? Just want to make sure I understand the process... I thought the Wazine would only kill adult worms and then the 2nd treatment is to kill anything that has survived/hatched?? Want to be sure so we don't have more problems later. Thanks!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You say the ivermectin will "kill any bugs they may have" - meaning the worms that have hatched? Just want to make sure I understand the process... I thought the Wazine would only kill adult worms and then the 2nd treatment is to kill anything that has survived/hatched?? Want to be sure so we don't have more problems later. Thanks!

Yes, wazine gets rid of large roundworms only. Ten to 14 days later, use a second wormer to kill other types of worms besides roundworm larva that wazine doesnt get rid of. By "kill any bugs they may have," Miss Lydia meant to say that ivermectin pour on will also kill most lice and mites externally. Please keep in mind that valbazen normally has a 3 year expiration date and is only one of the very few wormers that will kill tapeworms and liver flukes.

7. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia

Yes, wazine gets rid of large roundworms only. Ten to 14 days later, use a second wormer to kill other types of worms besides roundworm larva that wazine doesnt get rid of. By "kill any bugs they may have," Miss Lydia meant to say that ivermectin pour on will also kill most lice and mites externally. Please keep in mind that valbazen normally has a 3 year expiration date and is only one of the very few wormers that will kill tapeworms and liver flukes.

So the Ivermectin will also kill the worms? Not trying to be thick - I get that it will take care of mites, etc. externally, I just didn't realize that there were skin preps that could work internally like that. Learning lots - I thought Ivermectin was given in water so I've already learned something new in that it can be applied to the skin.
    I may go ahead with the Valbazen if the expiration is that long. I'd prefer something that's as quick & effective as possible. We have a busy household lol!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Yes, wazine gets rid of large roundworms only. Ten to 14 days later, use a second wormer to kill other types of worms besides roundworm larva that wazine doesnt get rid of. By "kill any bugs they may have," Miss Lydia meant to say that ivermectin pour on will also kill most lice and mites externally. Please keep in mind that valbazen normally has a 3 year expiration date and is only one of the very few wormers that will kill tapeworms and liver flukes.

So the Ivermectin will also kill the worms? Not trying to be thick - I get that it will take care of mites, etc. externally, I just didn't realize that there were skin preps that could work internally like that. Learning lots - I thought Ivermectin was given in water so I've already learned something new in that it can be applied to the skin.
    I may go ahead with the Valbazen if the expiration is that long. I'd prefer something that's as quick & effective as possible. We have a busy household lol!

Please try not to get confused, but there are different ivermectin products. With ivermectin pour on, the liquid drops are put on the bare skin on the back of the neck. The liquid is quickly absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream, then it goes about doing its job. Keep in mind there's a 14 day withdrawal period. Ivomec injectable is another product. For quick results, I recommend the wazine first. Ten days later, valbazen. There's a 14 day withdrawal period for each. But since reworming on the 10th day with valbazen, total withdrawal period would be 24 days instead of 28.

9. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:So the Ivermectin will also kill the worms? Not trying to be thick - I get that it will take care of mites, etc. externally, I just didn't realize that there were skin preps that could work internally like that. Learning lots - I thought Ivermectin was given in water so I've already learned something new in that it can be applied to the skin.

Please try not to get confused, but there are different ivermectin products. With ivermectin pour on, the liquid drops are put on the bare skin on the back of the neck. The liquid is quickly absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream, then it goes about doing its job. Keep in mind there's a 14 day withdrawal period. Ivomec injectable is another product. For quick results, I recommend the wazine first. Ten days later, valbazen. There's a 14 day withdrawal period for each. But since reworming on the 10th day with valbazen, total withdrawal period would be 24 days instead of 28.

OK. I thought I had read that with their age, they would be OK with just the Valbazen - no? And during this time we need to clean out the coop and put down fresh litter? We were trying the deep litter method for this winter but it looks like that can contribute to the problem. If we add DE to the litter can we continue with the litter or is a fresh start the only way?
    Appreciate your info! I'm a nurse (retired) so I understand the medication methods, just not familiar vet meds - yet. [​IMG]

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Here's a handy table on what will kill what: http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming%20Birds.pdf

Yours
    are young enough that you shouldn't have to bother with the Wazine first, just go directly to ivermectin or Valbazen. The former also kills most mites and lice, the latter doesn't, but it is the only one that gets hookworms. To me the ideal routine would be to give each one every 6 months, alternating the meds, of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by