deworming question

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
HI I have my peahen in a pen with her (almost) five week old chick. I am deworming the rest of the flock right now with Levamisol. I'd like to deworm my peahen too with the same dewormer, but I don't know if the chick is too young to be dewormed at all? They are in a pen that has been used by other birds so the possibility that they've picked up a few worms does exist, but both are acting and looking quite healthy right now. I last dewormed my peahen April 28 2019 and the flock has always been on a twice yearly deworming schedule, usually with Levamisol, with natural dewormers occasionally used in between. I will use natural dewormer for the flock over the winter probably in December sometime, and their next scheduled deworming would be in March or April. So, what to do? I have Safeguard suspension but I prefer not to use it because she is not at all easy to handle and does not handle stress from handling well. If i just give Safeguard to her in a treat, she'd eat it normally but in this case would probably try to give it to her chick. Thoughts? PS: I know that natural dewormer does not get rid of worms, and I would never use just that, but I do think it helps in between dewormings, especially with the weather we've had this past year.

Back
Top Bottom