Deworming using Safeguard pellets

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kristasflock, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Kristasflock

Kristasflock Just Hatched

Aug 22, 2016
    Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased Safeguard pellets deworm my four chickens. How much of the Safeguard pellets should I feed them to deworm?

Thank you

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! What worms do you want to treat? How much you need to use depends on the type of worm you wish to treat.

-Kathy

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Do your Birds have worms?
    I have never wormed a Chicken in my life....If Birds are kept clean, proper nutrition and are healthy, worming is not needed....

Cheers!

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

6. Kristasflock

Kristasflock Just Hatched

Aug 22, 2016
    Hi there,

It would be to treat most all worms - my vet who was also a farm vet for over 10 years recommended using the Safeguard pellets as unlike Piperzine it targets a large variety of worm types

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Contact the vet then, for the proper dosage....

Cheers!

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It does treat more worms than piperazine (Wazine), but worms like capillary worms require higher doses than large roundworms or cecal worms. Have your vet look up capillary worm treatment and have him/her recommend an amount, 'cause I don't think the amount listed on the product is enough.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by