1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deworming

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bunchOfhens, May 23, 2017.

1. bunchOfhens

bunchOfhens Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2017
    King George Virginia
    I have all the different types of wormers written down, but I'm confused about if I need to always redose in two weeks for if that is for just the very first time worming? I had to slaughter one of my hens about a week ago and she had a very small worm load but I have never wormed my flock before and figured now would be a good time.

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Welcome to BYC.
    Now is better than never.
    What type of worms do they have.
    Depending on the type or worms and the actual wormer you use you may need to repeat in 10 days...maybe sooner or later.
    Did you take poop to the vet to have it tested so you know for sure what you are dealing with? (It's very cheap)

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    All single dose wormers are more effective when repeated in 10-14 days. This would apply to:
    • Wazine (piperazine)
    • Safeguard (fenbendazole)
    • Valbazen (albendazole)
    • Oxfendazole
    • Pyrantel Pamoate
    • Praziquantel
    What type of worms did you find?

drumstick diva likes this.
  4. bunchOfhens

May 23, 2017
    King George Virginia

I was thinking of going with ivermectin since they have a mild case of scaly leg mites. I did read to redose the ivermectin if using for the leg mites. I have also read to rotate wormers and that is why I wanted to know if I always need to redose.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Ivermectin will treat lice, and might treat mites, but it is *not* an effective poultry de-wormer. Might be a good idea to start having routine fecals done.

drumstick diva and KikisGirls like this.
  6. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I didn't know that scaly leg mites were worms.
    :oops: Have not dealt with scales leg mites so I can not give you "from my personal experience advice" but I can tell you I have read many post where people have successfully treated them with vaseline. (Same people do complain about it being messy, but it worked for them.)

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @bunchOfhens , someone just posted this:

8. bunchOfhens

May 23, 2017
    King George Virginia
    I have no clue.
    that's what I'm currently doing. Slathering up the legs!

KikisGirls likes this.
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @bunchOfhens , there was another person that had a necropsy done on their deceased bird that had also been treated with ivermectin, and that bird had "moderate" amounts of large roundworm egg *and* cecal worm eggs.

10. chicken life for us

chicken life for us Just Hatched

May 23, 2017

How does one worm a chicken?? I'm new to all of this, and my husband just looked at me like I was crazy when I said apparently they can have worms. a huff was his response lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by