1. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    I read that if chicken eggs will be eaten, the hens should be vaccinated for worms. Is this true? My pullets have been laying for a few months, and they seem fine, but I don't want their eggs to be eaten if they have something wrong with them.

If you do have to vaccinate them, where do you get the vaccinations? And how do you vaccinate them (where, what to do, etc.)?

Here are their weights:

Poppy- 5 pounds

Lily and Flutter- 4.5 pounds

Gamma- 4 pounds

They are all 7 and a half months old.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Where did you read that hens have to be vaccinated for worms if the eggs are going to be eaten?

3. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Quote:I read it in a magazine from Meyer Hatchery that I got in the mail

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

I didnt get my Meyer Hatchery catalog yet grrrr! Anyway, I've never heard of a vaccination for worms. There are vaccinations for many chicken diseases etc...
    There are many dewormers on the market that have to given orally to chickens; some can be mixed in their food or water, others directly down their throat. To answer your question, your eggs are safe to eat. If your chickens are eating, drinking, laying...acting like a chicken should and not acting lethargic...you have nothing to worry about. Check their poop occasionally and if you see worms, come back here and repost and we'll be glad to help you. Enjoy your eggs!

5. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Jun 26, 2010
    California

I didnt get my Meyer Hatchery catalog yet grrrr! Anyway, I've never heard of a vaccination for worms. There are vaccinations for many chicken diseases etc...
    There are many dewormers on the market that have to given orally to chickens; some can be mixed in their food or water, others directly down their throat. To answer your question, your eggs are safe to eat. If your chickens are eating, drinking, laying...acting like a chicken should and not acting lethargic...you have nothing to worry about. Check their poop occasionally and if you see worms, come back here and repost and we'll be glad to help you. Enjoy your eggs!

Thanks so much!!! [​IMG] I've been giving some eggs to my elderly neighbor, so I wanted to make sure they're perfectly safe. They are acting fine right now, and I also give them plenty of yogurt to help their digestive system.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by