Deworming?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by byquails, Jan 27, 2012.

1. byquails

byquails Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Ontario, Canada.
    I keep my quail in a cage off the ground, I know if I let my quail eat off the ground they will have to be givin dewormer at some point, but If I feed them meal worms etc from a supplier, will or do I still have to give dewormer?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quail living on the ground need to be wormed more often, however even quail kept in cages need to be wormed on a regular basis. Meal worms are a good treat, but have nothing to do with the need to worm the quail. You can worm with Wazine or Safeguard at least once or twice a year. [​IMG]

3. byquails

byquails Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Ontario, Canada.
    Really?... I was under the impression that unless the birds came in contact with ground bugs etc that they didn't need worming. I was told this by a man who has bred and raised birds for years, and he kept them off the ground and never wormed. He raises them for eggs and meat and said that if you worm them you can't eat the eggs for two weeks after, but he never did worm, so he never had that problem...Also I read from other research that the only reason birds needed worming was because of the parasites they ingested through eating bugs and insects off the ground which were the cause of parasitic infestation...This is why I was wondering if feeding them bugs at all was the reason to worm...? now i'm more confused..lol....Thks though, I will have to look into this more obviously. Hopefully in the mean time I have no problems with any of my girls/boys...

4. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    "I knew a guy, who had a friend, who knew somebody that"...see where this is going? But you came here to ask a question for an honest answer and didn't go back to ask a man who knew everything...makes me wonder how much you trust his opinions anyway....

Even if the guy didn't have any issues himself...an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure. Why not listen to Twocrowsranch, take the inexpensive method and prevent a possible problem?

Just out of curiosity, from your response, you obviously wanted someone to say to you, " Byquails, No, no you don't need to worm." or you would not have made the rebuttal about knowing a guy who never did...if you already knew the answer YOU were looking for, why did you post a question?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quail themselves carry worms in their intestines and even when kept in cages, they come in contact with each others poop. The poop gets all over the wire. Yes, bugs do carry vermin, and of course ground quail leave more poop around. So they are more prone to worms. But being in a cage, quail will still come in contact with worms.

And many times you don't even know they are worm infested until it is too late and some are dying. So a bottle of Wazine is cheap enough. Even if you only use it once a year, your quail will live a happier life. [​IMG]

6. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    I would never deworm my quail. Parasites are living creatures. Why do we have to kill them?

7. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Mille, great question! It's good that you are respecting all things living. I know the worms are living creatures, but the parasites eat the quail's food from inside the little quail's body. They also discharge waste inside the little quail that destroys the liver. So in fact starve the little quail and poison it so it will die a horrible, agonizing death. And we want the little quail, which is also living, to live a great, healthy life without all the little buggys inside it.

I hope this answers your question. +1 [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  8. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

the way I look at it .. my quail will only be around for a year to a year and a half before they end up being butchered.. yup.. even my breeder birds are destined to one day go to freezer camp to be replaced by new breeders..

Mine are also kept in the house on wire. So there's a slim chance of mine ever getting parasites or a parasite load so heavy as to kill them before then end up in freezer camp.

So nope.. I won't worm mine since they aren't going to be here for the long haul anyway and the chances of them becoming infested with any bugaboos are pretty much slim to none

9. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody

Thank you bfrances. <3 We learn something new every day. I just feel so bad for the poor worms. I'm thinking of turning all of my quail loose in my house because I think that cages are cruel. Does anyone make quail diapers??

10. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    [​IMG] I am not great at sowing but I could probably make you some cloth ones Mille, maybe I will start my own business

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by