Deworming?

MRW

Songster
11 Years
Feb 21, 2008
Gales Ferry, CT
Hen pooped and hubby thought he saw worms in it. We do have some D.E. Does it work and what is the best way to use it? Or any other suggestions....

DE will not do anything for an active infestation, if you are seeing worms in the poop. You need an actual wormer, chemical or natural, however, natural wormers like chopped pumpkin seed and buttermilk are more preventative than when you are seeing actual worms. I like Eprinex Pour On, a cattle wormer. It's applied to the back of the neck on the skin then reapplied in two weeks or so. Wazine is only for roundworms.

Pour on cattle wormer is great because you get a huge container and it lasts a long time. I use Ivermectin and I drop .25cc on the back of the bird's neck. Don't eat the eggs for 2 weeks after treatment.

Where can I buy that kind of remedy? Guess what chicken butt...I love that avatar..... I don't have cattle, just a small flock of chickens. We do live by an Agway...? Thanks anything available on-line? Speckledhen your orpington looks like 1 of our blues, only bigger...what is it a standard bue orp? If I give them chopped pumpkin seeds as a preventative throughout the year do I mix it with buttermilk? or give seperately? And how often? thanks

Could that also be the reason that some of my chickens aren't laying eggs? Besides being broody? :mad:?

Last edited:
Speckledhen, how much do you put on their neck, and at what age can you do that if they have worms? I'm afraid mine are too young . . . I'm having a hard time finding that information, but I have searched (I know how annoying repeated questions can be.
Sorry for piggy backing, MRW . . .

Here is a source where you can get smaller quanities of the Ivermek. Well the durn mouse quit me it is Smith Poultry Supply out of Ks. it is listed under disenfectants and wormers.

fowltemptress,

No need to say sorry,...an excellent question, you're 1 step ahead of me
big_smile.png
. I looked up "cattle dewormer" and found www.jefferslivestock.com they have ivomec/eprinex 250 ml for $34.95 Is that enough for 20 bantams of so? And I also have (3 ) 6 week old chicks is it safe to apply it to them as well? Cattle are what, maybe 100 times bigger
tongue.png
Sounds like it's similar to frontline for dogs and cats, which I must say I swear by
big_smile.png
Any help with dosage amounts would be appreciated,....for both of us......
hmm.png

I would wait on the chicks for a good while. The general rule that I was told was one to three drops for a bantam and up to five drops for a standard given on the skin directly at the base of the neck.

Thanks, smith poultry has a good selection and I just re-read chickenbutt's post and .25cc per chicken which I'm thinking I can measure out and apply with my kids medicine dispenser? Please don't take offense by me referring to u as chickenbutt,
lol.png
i just love that avatar, ... :lol:We've been using that "guess what......."joke on our kids for years now
lol.png
I even made a point of showing your avatar off to hubby when I 1st started reading the forums on this sight!!

Back
Top Bottom