DF gave the ok Buying Baby Chickens...Please Help...What to Buy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken mamma, Jul 2, 2008.

1. chicken mamma

chicken mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    North Texas
    Last go round I bought 3 each of several different kinds of breeds, and thought I'd save a little money going straight run. BIG mistake. now I have ten roosters to deal with, they're still only 9 weeks old but its getting obvious. So naturally I need to replace them. And DH said ok [​IMG] But I'm wanting weird and unusual and brown egg layers, I'm thinking of just getting some red stars and marans for that purpose. I order from MM and have seen every single chiken they have available so nothing looks weird and unsual to me any more haha. We have plenty of bantams but now I'm wanting to get some ladies that will make me some money down the road, whether it be eggs, meat or just sale. Any ideas suggestions let me know. [​IMG] Thanks Guys.

Also, I'll be posting later what roos I have, if any body wants to talk shop just message me and let me know. I have to much going on right now to try to ship so if you are local and interested let me know. I live about 30 minutes west of Fort Worth, Texas

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Orientals are cool looking, to me anyways... [​IMG]

3. chicken mamma

Mar 19, 2008
    North Texas
    Do you have a pic of orientals? I ended up just doing a straight run of 50 "special assorted" from MM sounds like it could be a little bit of everything. At any rate, we could always just butcher the roosters.

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    One thing I'd suggest is putting aside the idea of making any money on this obsession...er...addiction...er...I mean...hobby?

Other than that, you just have to figure out exactly what you want from the bird and then make the decision of what you want based on that.

For funky, how about Polish? :) Or naked necks/turkens. :)

5. K7 Menagerie

K7 Menagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Bend, OR
    I agree on the Polish for an exotic look, but they do lay white eggs. If you're wanting brown eggs, I would suggest Maran or Welsummer. Neither is very exotic looking, but they do produce a beautiful and very dark brown egg.

6. chicken mamma

Mar 19, 2008
    North Texas
    Quote:Oh don't I know it!!! My DF had these grand ideas of making hand over fist. Me I just want some free eggs, and make a little extra gas money on the side, It being $4 dollars now...good grief!!

But still deep down, I would like think that one day, we may just be on a larger (not grand but larger then now) scale and could perhaps sell at our local trade market.

I have 10 people right now waiting for everyone to start laying routinely. So if anything, they're at least earning there keep. Every little bit counts right. lol

I have and love the polish chickens my favorite being the white crested black polish. They crack me up!!! [​IMG] silly little things!

I must say I never saw myself as being a chicken addict. Not 3 years ago was I hiding behind my DF because a rooster had followed us into a Gas Station and I just knew it was going to peck my eyes out. And now, I sit with mine and love them all dearly, whether they just love me for my care taking abilities or not.

7. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Have you ever tried wyndottes? They are wonderful brown egg layers and the silver laced are beutiful. I have also seen pics of the Red laced blues. Very out of the ordinary. Here is one of my young girls at 3 months.

[​IMG][/img]

8. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    hehe I know some people do it and can do it, BUT I found when I was trying to make money off of them, I didn't enjoy it which made the whole thing a chore.

Now I just do it for the enjoyment. If I make a little on the eggs or chicks, cool, but it's no big if not.

I second the wyandotte's. Blue laced reds are gorgeous, not very common, yet and lay a pretty brown egg. You may be able to make some money off of the hatching eggs and chicks, too. (That's one breed that I had when I was attempting to make some profit back. hehe)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by