dfox37

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dfox37, Feb 6, 2013.

1. dfox37

dfox37 New Egg

Feb 6, 2013
    My Buckeye hen is sick, has lost weight, i noticed last night her comb is gone! I know they do not have much of a comb, but hers is all gone! she also has some yellow poop going on. She seems to be breathing OK so I do not think it is gapeworm. I don't know what to think. Please help!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sometimes yellow poop means nothing. But yellow poop and a shriveled comb can mean infection. Yellow poop can be a liver infection of some sort. It can also mean worms. Has she been wormed lately?

If she has already been wormed, I would start her on some antibiotics. Sulfa drugs work well on liver infections. Tetracyclines like Duramycin works on other internal organ infections. You may need to feed her what ever she will eat just to keep weight on.

I have a hen that stopped eating and drinking, had yellow urates, lost a ton of weight. She had some sort of liver infection. I got her on some sulfadimethoxine. You can't keep them on sulfa drugs for very long. So I ended up treating her again a few weeks later. She recovered completely.

Oh, and welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Good answer from twocrowsranch. Sulfadimethoxine is easier on the chicken's system than some other sulfas. Most feed stores carry it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by