DFW Oct. Swap thoughts are off. too complicated.

FortWorthChicks

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Fort Worth
Well it is too bad I thought about planning an event but it seems... It is a big NO GO

Maybe sometime we could just a meet and greet but it seems the law has made it too hard to hold a swap that involves animals.

Last edited:
Well that is too bad. It is a big NO GO

Maybe sometime we could just a meet and greet but it seems the law has made it too hard to hold a swap.

Last edited:
pop.gif

Hi Everyone!
I am in Burleson, just south of Ft. Worth. I would love a meet and greet/swap. We have only started keeping chickens in '09 and then almost all of them gotten "taken" by a dog so we had to start over. We have 4 hens that have just started laying and then 6 brahma pullets that will lay eventually. We haven't decided how far we will go, besides selling eggs.

I sell Scentsy wickless candles and warmers. I love the DIY ones and I want to find some farm/chicken themed designs for them. So can offer that at the meet. My mother in law breeds Boer Goats and she could come. She always has more chicens than me too! She has made goat soap as well.

Keep me posted FTWorthChick! Sounds exciting! Oh we have two kids (six and three) and if there are animals at this thing, that is all the entertainment that would want!

ChickenJones

So far we have on the bringing side...

1.) If I can get my NPIP by October and pull this thing together I will be offering a few POL Welsummer pullets as well as some young roos from DARK eggs.

2.) ChickenJones who would be offering scentsy wickless candles and warmers
2-a) ChickenJones MIL may have boer goats possible goat soap.

Last edited:
All of the following would depend on when it was being held and whether their was a chicken show that I'm
supposed to be at:

1.) If you are NPIP would you be bringing anything for sale/trade?

If I can get NPIP tested by then also, I should have some Lavender Silkies available... also depends on
whether they want to lay or not. Possibly some buff Silkies also, but still have to find a roo for her first.

2.) If you are not NPIP (and are not allowed to bring poultry for sale) would you bring something to sell/if so what? canned goods/soap/sewing stuff... crafts?

Not sure what everyone would be interested in. I'm looking into getting an embroidery machine... could possibly sell/donate embroidered/monogrammed towels, etc.

3.) Rabbits/Goats? whats the rules on that? Would anyone have them for sale?
--What certifications are needed for this?

4.) If you were attending to meet/greet/browse/buy what might you be looking for?

I'd love to get info on soapmaking, canning, etc. I'm gonna try to start quilting here soon.

5.) How many of us have kids that will want some stuff to do!?

No kids here.

FortWorthChicks mentioned music. Live bands, depending on where they are and how good they are, will run anywhere
from a couple hundred to a couple grand for a 4 hour gig. Plus you have to make sure you have plenty of electricity and
plugs for all the equipment. A CD player with some large speakers or a PA system would probably be a smarter idea.

So far we have on the bringing side...

1.) If I can get my NPIP by October and pull this thing together I will be offering a few POL Welsummer pullets as well as some young roos from DARK eggs.

2.) ChickenJones who would be offering scentsy wickless candles and warmers
2-a) ChickenJones MIL may have boer goats possible goat soap.

3.) VetteKLisa possible Lavender Silkies and possible Buff Silkies
3-a) possibly sell/donate embroidered/monogrammed towels, etc.

Quote:
hu.gif

Thing is.. I need to get an idea of who would like to come and what stuff they do/sell/like in order to plan an event. If it looks like not so many would be interested I am not going to set a date at all so I guess if you see the thread still up and running in 5 months then check back in with us.
smile.png

On second thought I don't want this swap/meet idea to get out of hand either... this is my first time even considering planning an event so bare with me please.
smile.png

Last edited:
There was a time 10 or so years ago that Texas had a number of swaps/trade days. I ran one myself (Elgin Trade Day) and went to a lot of them in the Houston area to sell pheasants and quail.
But they are all gone except for one in the Conroe area. The reason is this-

By Law in Texas you must have a registration with the Texas Animal Health Commission to sell birds off of your property. You can sell all the birds you want if the buyers come to your place BUT if you leave your property with birds to sell you must have a card issued by the TAHC. You also have to have your birds tested for P/T but that is easy and free. The license from the TAHC can be from $25 ( for less than 100 birds ) up to $500 ( for more than 2,500). They come to your place every year that you want the card and take a count.

You can forget about NPIP, it basically means nothing in Texas except that you were tested for P/T ( which is free from the State) and then you paid them a fee for the use of the NPIP name. Last year I believe it was $75 but this year it is $300. At least that is what I was told by my friend in the TDVM.

For the record the TAHC has a ruling in place since 2004(?) that has the number of Poultry shows in Texas to just a small fraction of what they use to be. All of this is caused by the Commercial Poultry industry, mainly the Texas Poultry Federation.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom