DH and I are having a disagreement.....

Blue Hill Farm

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
Central Saskatchewan
whether or not to cover the windows with hardware cloth. I think it's a must to predator proof the coop. He doesn't want to ruin the "look" of the windows, or even think it's necessary as the run is going to cover them up. Run will start at 7ft and taper down to 4ft.

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2874.jpg

So my two-part question is this: is it really necessary? And how can I cover the lower window screen with hardware cloth and still look ascetically pleasing?
roll.png

If the run is gonna be predator proof, then you wouldnt have to cover the windows too, but depending on how aggressive the preditors are in your area, it might bring a little more peace of mind at night.

P.S. dont look now but there is someone in the window of the coop trying to take your picture.
lau.gif

On one of our coops I have a pop out window that has the hardware cloth on it. We just use it when the weather is warm. In the winter it is just the window.

As Marlinchaser said if the run will encompass the windows and is secure??? The screens will probably get pretty clogged up often with chicken coop dust and will have to be maintained??? Maybe inside, a hinged frame with the hardware wire and with latches to secure it, then you could operate the window normaly???
If you DH is anything like me, it take time for ideas to be developed, visualized, and then the selection. The coop looks great and definetly well built. As with great masterpieces, it take time and patients.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Now how the heck did she get in there?
lol.png

I'm not sure how aggressive the predators are around here. We just moved in May, but I have seen foxes, coyotes, skunks, coons and hawks in the area. Everything under the sun that loves chicken dinner. Figures.
roll.png

Lollipop, you mean from outside right?

Scoop, do you mean your screen is hardware cloth and you pop in and out? I really like that idea!

Quote:
That is him to a T!
lol.png

We are gonna try and make the run as secure as possible, though I'm a little concerned about just using 1 inch chicken wire. Might have to reinforce with something else....wish I had known about cattle panels before. An inside hinged frame is a wonderfully brilliant idea! Leaves the outside free and the window untouched. I think DH would definitely go for that.

Thanks for all the great advice/ideas. BYC members rock.
cool.png

Quote:
Its a wise choice to be concerned Chicken wire will keep the chickens in, but wont do much to stop those that want in out. Dog/fox have been known to chew through chicken wire.
barnie.gif

Quote:
sad.png
Oh great....I guess it's back to the old drawing board.
he.gif
heh...

Do they even make 1/2 inch chicken wire? Because it must be next to impossible to find!
barnie.gif

I read someones post on here where people were using cattle panels as a base and reinforcing with other wire to boot. Their runs looked super strong and very well made.

Last edited:
I was faced with the same situation. I wanted security but also wanted it to look good. I didn't want to put hardwire cloth over the entire outside of the window for astetics. Over the entire inside would make it difficult to open and close the windows unless I mounted it to a hinged frame.

This is what I did

screen2.jpg

I cut a piece to fit, used small screws and washers to secure the cloth between the screen and the outside of the sliding portion of the window. It is not screwed to the screen but the vinyl of the window. Not all windows are the same and may not be an option for you.

From the outside it is hardly noticable.

screen1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom